Little timing help please

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tmacie

Ok I'm kinda embarassed to ask this, but I need a wee bit of help. I have a 90 civic DX, with a mpfi swap, z6, converted to OBD 1. I need to adjust the timing a little, but I cant find the jumper plug. now the helms manual and my brain tell me that plug should be near the shock tower..... but I cant seem to find it. Anyone have any ideas?

Travis

Originally posted by tmacie@Mar 14 2005, 05:07 PM
Ok I'm kinda embarassed to ask this, but I need a wee bit of help. I have a 90 civic DX, with a mpfi swap, z6, converted to OBD 1. I need to adjust the timing a little, but I cant find the jumper plug. now the helms manual and my brain tell me that plug should be near the shock tower..... but I cant seem to find it. Anyone have any ideas?

Travis
[post=473507]Quoted post[/post]​

Here you go Travis.
I think this is the right location for your car. (circled in green)
Probably has a little yellow rubber boot over it. Good luck.

Paul
timingconnector.jpg

i know this aint my car but im a bit confused, i think im missin something, how do you adjust timing from a connector on that side?? what connector is that??

ive only adjusted timing from the cam gear and crank, by twisting the dizzy usin a timing light, i wasnt aware there were otehr ways??

Originally posted by DelSlo@Mar 16 2005, 05:54 PM
i know this aint my car but im a bit confused, i think im missin something, how do you adjust timing from a connector on that side?? what connector is that??

ive only adjusted timing from the cam gear and crank, by twisting the dizzy usin a timing light, i wasnt aware there were otehr ways??
[post=474511]Quoted post[/post]​

As well as I understand it, is omething like this: You have to put a jumper across the connector to overide the car's computer. Otherwise, when you move the dizzy around, the computer compensates for the movement and sets the timing back to where it was. You still need a timing light, the marks on the crank pulley, and to rotate the dizzy to make the adjustment. But without the jumper you really aren't changing anything.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

huh, cool!

thanx for the info, ive never heard of that before! i havent done too much work on the 4th gen civics so maybe its an older thing, cause ive never seen that on the 5th gens!

thanx again though!

on my vehicle the connector is inside the passenger side area. i have a 91 crx si, it's just behind the the carpet that shields the ecu on the rightmost side. it's gray on my vehicle, i'm not sure on 5th gens, but i've had to do it on my car and you need to override the computer by jumping (connecting the two terminals) that connection and adjusting your distributor position.

sorry if this info isn't helpful for you but i've only owned crxs and the connector has always upon always been an in-cabin connection. please take from the information i've provided whatever will help you. hope i can help you at all, but given you said you're driving a 1990, that connector should be in-cabin right by the ecu.

-j

Back