LMAO! who just watched jeopardy?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 10 2004, 11:19 PM
yes! alex chuckled at it when the display came up-- the crowd went nuts
its was fucking great.
[post=415142]Quoted post[/post]​

Wow the audience too? I didn't think a game show audience would be that l33t.

I guess I'm not a nerd. I had no idea what 1337 meant until I searched on it.

For those who aren't smart enough, like myself, 1337 represents LEET. It derived from the latin word "el lite" and can be represented as l33t and other such variations. It became a status obtained by a member on a forum or board and allowed them exclusive access to pirated software, etc... Popular in the late 80s and early 90s. However, now hackers, gamers, animators, etc...(nerds) use it.

I hope thats right. If not, correct and elaborate.

After I found out, I chuckled too..

Originally posted by endlesszeal@Nov 11 2004, 02:10 PM
I guess I'm not a nerd. I had no idea what 1337 meant until I searched on it.

For those who aren't smart enough, like myself, 1337 represents LEET. It derived from the latin word "el lite" and can be represented as l33t and other such variations. It became a status obtained by a member on a forum or board and allowed them exclusive access to pirated software, etc... Popular in the late 80s and early 90s. However, now hackers, gamers, animators, etc...(nerds) use it.

I hope thats right. If not, correct and elaborate.

After I found out, I chuckled too..
[post=415413]Quoted post[/post]​

The description seems kinda off. It's kind of right, but just seems wrong.

It's a misspelling and shortening of "Elite"

Noun
1. A group or class of persons or a member of such a group or class, enjoying superior intellectual, social, or economic status: “In addition to notions of social equality there was much emphasis on the role of elites and of heroes within them” (Times Literary Supplement).
2. The best or most skilled members of a group: the football team's elite.

Progression: Elite-Eleet-leet-1337

I'm not entirely sure if it goes back as far as the 80's, either.

pwned is a newer one, though you probably know that one. From the misspelling of owned... Newer variations like rowned, pawned, and others have had varying success.

Then there's my personal favorite:

prawned.jpg

Originally posted by DarkHand@Nov 11 2004, 03:18 PM
I'm not entirely sure if it goes back as far as the 80's, either.

Trust me- it does. You're just not l33t enough to remember. :p :lol:

fyi pwned is not a mistype of owned
its a common error though

pwned originated in an online roelplaying game that had permenant deaths for player vs player combat

so if you thought you were hardcore you had the choice of pvp'ng and the chance of being pwned or permenantly owned :)

i have a doctrate in online gaming ;)

Originally posted by micah@Nov 11 2004, 08:20 PM
i have a doctrate in online gaming ;)
[post=415517]Quoted post[/post]​

Instead of " i need to get out more" ... i should say i need to stay in more. I never knew that. But internet "slang" is cool and all but sometimes people over use it and it becomes boring.

Like this guy posted in 2 consecutive posts with in 4 minutes of each other...
i think uber
w00t roxx0r the vote1
wtf get a life and put down the intardnet ebonics book.

Back