locked in vtec?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dane01cobra

im looking at an 88 crx hf with a mini me swap, guy says its locked in vtec and that its always engaged, ne one herd of this, if so how do i fix the prob so it works regularly?

Quoted post[/post]]
the guy said somin bout a pin in the head, ever herd of that?

From you first post I was thinking along the same lines as Civicous.

But since he mentioned the pin, It sounds like he is referring to the pin that slides to ultimately allow the vtec cam lobes to be utilized. Perhaps it is stuck and hence the valves would be operated by only the vtec lobes on the camshaft--regardless of rpm; this will make you lose a lot of low end power.

I think your best bet is to pass on this car and instead go learn a little more about vtec.

yeah, i would pass on it, except it has a perfect body, he also said that the car was stuck in vtec on purpose, also the car isnt wired for vtec, does ne one kno how to disengage the pin?

Quoted post[/post]]
yeah, i would pass on it, except it has a perfect body, he also said that the car was stuck in vtec on purpose, also the car isnt wired for vtec, does ne one kno how to disengage the pin?

It's definitely wired wrong. He's more than likely just got the VTEC solenoid hooked directly up to a power source, thus causing the pin that engages VTEC to always lock the cams together.

If it's a good deal, but the car and wire it right.

the only way it could be locked in vtec is if the solenoid is wired directly to power. and even then, the vtec wont engage until the oil pressure builds up enough to move the pin.

No, wait, he said that it was done purposly and that the motor isn't even wired for vtec. That means that whoever did this probably forced the cams onto the vtec lobes and then welded or by some other means stuck the pin so that it would not move. This would keep the cams on vtec permanetly. I don't know why anyone would ever do that, the whole point of vtec is that it is supposed to be "Variable". But hey man, if the bodys good, pull the motor and swap it.

if the car's in good condition, tell him you'll take it off his hands for cheap and let him know you'll be ditching the engine for a b-series :wink:

Back