log turbo manifold

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92CHB

I have decided to build my own turbo manifold, farbrication is fun :D . After talking with Ji, log style is going to be the easiest to fabricate. Now my question is, is there a certian distance that i shouldn't exceed with each tube, meaning how far off the block i put the turbo. I am not planning on making it stick out far, i just wanna make sure that if i do have it stick out some i am not going to be hurting anything.

The only danger in making the manifold farther from the block is the increased chance of cracking from the weight sitting farther from where the manifold is mounted. You can, and pobably should brace the manifold some how to prevent cracking, especially if you arn't the best welder in the world.

Originally posted by ktanaka@Nov 11 2004, 12:58 AM
The only danger in making the manifold farther from the block is the increased chance of cracking from the weight sitting farther from where the manifold is mounted. You can, and pobably should brace the manifold some how to prevent cracking, especially if you arn't the best welder in the world.
[post=415180]Quoted post[/post]​

okay, so where/how would i brace it? do i make metal bars that i weld to the underneathof the manifold and then bolt the other end it to an xtra hole on the block?

ideally, through a static standpoint, you'd want to put the turbo as close to the block as possible. I'm sure this is not completely possible, but the longer the manifold sticks out from the block, the larger the forces that the manifold will have to cope with

remember, the moment at the engine block is the force from the weight of the turbo times the length the turbo is away from the block

if the distance is relatively short, you have really good joint fitament and can make pretty good welds, you shouldn't have many problems with cracking-

Originally posted by reckedracing@Nov 11 2004, 11:09 AM
yea, thats what i would do...

you could also possibly make a top brace that goes over the manifold as well...
[post=415285]Quoted post[/post]​

okay sounds good. yah i am not goona like have it stick out far, i just wanted to make sure that if i wanna have some/little clearance i won't be hurting anything else in the process.

Thanks for your help. :)

I would look at pics of other Log Manifolds and design them after those. Un-original, but it gets the job done.

Originally posted by YangpaNemsay@Nov 12 2004, 12:06 PM
I would look at pics of other Log Manifolds and design them after those. Un-original, but it gets the job done.
[post=415855]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah i saw a couple pics of one. I just gotta find other pics to compare designs...If anyone knows of any pics please post up some links, thanks!

Back