LOJACK vs other systems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
and thats the thing that makes lojack different- it doesn't use GPS. it uses radio frequencies.

anyone know much about these systems...

i was checking out ebay and there are several real time GPS tracking devices, as well as the radio signal tracking ones...

my friends boss just got a new mercedes SUV deal and they got lojack for the pricey fee of 1500 bucks...
the car moves 20 feet and they get a call

anyone know the monthly charges that go along with these systems, or any other details?

and why radio signals vs gps?

GPS > radio signals
GPS = more expensive than radio signals
LoJack = only system that the police departments use
No monthly charges on LoJack... just a one time payment.

define police dept's use...

like cop cars have lojack? or its the only company they use for theft recovery?

i saw a sheriff's car with a laptop and it had a map system showing all sheriff cars that were out... would this be a lojack system? or something else?

and i would love -LOVE- to be able to see where all cars from all dept's were at any given time... locals, state, sheriff, NYS DEP, etc etc...

edit - they say GPS goes through glass and plastic but not metal...
so i would imagine its safe to assume you may not be able to "see" the vehicle if it were parked inside any metal structure... but you would be able to see when it entered the structure and go to that location... unless of course the structure was a metal shipping container, in which case you're fucked...

the police are the only ones that can track the car

LoJack is the only system that is officially endorsed by the police departments... it's the only system that the cops will use to track your car. All the police departments that support GPS tracking only use LoJack.

I'm sure the cop cars have some sort of GPS tracking system in them, but it may or may not be LoJack.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Apr 29 2005, 01:42 PM
define police dept's use...

like cop cars have lojack? or its the only company they use for theft recovery?

i saw a sheriff's car with a laptop and it had a map system showing all sheriff cars that were out... would this be a lojack system? or something else?

and i would love -LOVE- to be able to see where all cars from all dept's were at any given time... locals, state, sheriff, NYS DEP, etc etc...

edit - they say GPS goes through glass and plastic but not metal...
so i would imagine its safe to assume you may not be able to "see" the vehicle if it were parked inside any metal structure... but you would be able to see when it entered the structure and go to that location... unless of course the structure was a metal shipping container, in which case you're fucked...
[post=493107]Quoted post[/post]​

i know the in's and outs of loajck.

i just posted the FAQ, but its too big... so i took it out. hang on... lol

i trust the cops about as much as i trust a 5 time convicted child molester in a room full of first graders...

it prob stems from my car being stolen, then recovered 13 days later, and not finding out about it till i ran a carfax report 5 months after the fact...

if I can't track it, and only the cops can, then its pretty much useless as far as i;m concerned..

clicked on the county list and it redirected back to the thread, lol

so 695 msrp for basic lojack, no monthly fees...
interesting...

The owner of a 2004 Dodge Ram pickup was working out at the gym when his LoJack Early Warning system notified him that his vehicle had been moved. When he checked the parking lot, his Dodge pickup was gone. He immediately reported to Phoenix police that the vehicle had been stolen, automatically activating the vehicle's hidden LoJack Stolen Vehicle Recovery System. Within minutes, police helicopter AIR-81 began receiving the silent LoJack signal and tracked it to an apartment complex where they identified the parked vehicle. Phoenix Police ground patrol officers recovered the Dodge pickup and returned it to the happy owner...just sixteen minutes after he called the police!

that rocks...

ok, here's how LoJack works:

LoJack System OverView
What is LoJack?
LoJack is the only stolen vehicle recovery system used by the police. The LoJack unit consists of a small, silent transmitter, randomly hidden in your vehicle. If you discover that your vehicle has been stolen, a report to the police will automatically activate the LoJack. Your vehicle can then be tracked and recovered by the police. Nationally, LoJack has over a 90% recovery rate.
How does LoJack work?
After you report your stolen vehicle to the police, a signal from a radio tower activates the LoJack in your vehicle. The LoJack unit randomly hidden in your vehicle broadcasts a silent, coded signal to police vehicles equipped with LoJack Police Tracking Computers (PTCs). The LoJack Police Tracking Computer receives the LoJack signal, identifies your vehicle and leads police directly to the stolen vehicle.

That's the verbiage....

the real deal is that,
when you report your car stolen, and the police officer enters the vin into the computer, it activates a signal inside the car.

radio frequency is used instead of gps for several reasons.

gps needs to be tri-angulated, radio doesn't.

think of it like this--

you're driving in the middle of no where....
you will loose cell phone service before you can't get any radio stations.

cells use gps.
radio uses radio waves.

another example... go inside a big metal box/container.
i bet your cell looses service, but i bet you could still pick up a radio station.

gps is more ACCURATE as far as pinpointing..
but radio is more reliable i guess would be the term.

DOES LOJACK USE GPS TECHNOLOGY?
LoJack utilizes RF (radio frequency) technology, which is more reliable for stolen vehicle recovery. GPS products require a direct line of sight from the antenna to at least 4 satellites in order for the product to work, which can limit its effectiveness if the vehicle is in a location that doesn't have a clear line of sight to 4 satellites. RF technology is more reliable for stolen vehicle recovery because it does not need a clear line of sight in order to track the vehicle

LoJack claims a 90% recovery rate within 24 hours.

however
it is NOT availble in all areas.... meaning not only can you not buy it, but they can't track it there either.
if the theif is in the know, he will haul ass to that spot and dump the car for 24 hours or so...

and no for a sales pitch... lol

LoJack has a few products that are available for cars, SUV's, and light pick-up trucks:

LoJack Stolen Vehicle Recovery System (SVRS)
LoJack is the only stolen vehicle recovery system operated by the police and has a recovery rate around 90%.
MSRP = $695
LoJack Full-Featured Alarm (only available packaged with SVRS)
Adds a full-featured, audible alarm system to the SVRS protection.
MSRP = $995
LoJack Early Warning (only available packaged with SVRS)
Notifies the customer of unauthorized movement of the vehicle. (When the vehicle has been moved without the key pass present)
MSRP = $995

For more information regarding the LoJack products and pricing, please call 1-800-456-5225 and select the Sales/product Info option during normal business hours (M-F 8:30am-8:30pm EST and Sat 9am-5pm EST)

keep in mind, you're in upstate new york...

right now, new york only has coverage BAHHHLEETED

and thats priobably more info than i should have released....

i'll be deleting that last part soon.. so copy it :D don't want that going too public

Originally posted by reckedracing@Apr 29 2005, 04:10 PM
where did you get that FAQ

i am on their website looking for the county list...but have not found it yet...
[post=493124]Quoted post[/post]​

i WROTE that faq.. lol

the country list is not public domain. i just posted NY's above... so copy that down... i'm deleting it in 5 min.

hey, thank you very much

i kinda guessed my area wasn't covered when i had to bump to 50 miles on their dealer search service thing...

i'm definately impressed with lojack... but without coverage my ass would still be owned... looks like GPS for me...

yeah, its a pretty successful unit.

for 600 bucks, it could save you a LOT of time and effort dealing with insurance companies dicking you around for 2 months. look at Kris's story about the si... it took how long??? and they only took THAT off of it? it was probably just sitting in a field somewhere for a month...

Yup. If you get it, get the early warning system. That way it calls/pages/emails you the second the car is moved without "your approval". Basically, if your alarm is armed and the car is moved, the system lets you know immediately. It works great for parking in tow-away zones. :lol:

The owner of a 1992 Acura Integra equipped with a LoJack Stolen Vehicle Recovery System was stunned to realize that the car had been stolen AGAIN...for the third time in 5 months! The owner immediately called the Enumclaw, Washington Police Department and filed a stolen vehicle report. This activated the LoJack Stolen Vehicle Recovery System hidden inside the vehicle. Within minutes the signal was picked up over 41 miles away by police in Bellevue, a suburb of Seattle. The vehicle was quickly located, recovered, and returned to its grateful owner.

damn, that guy is definately getting his moneys worth...

his car must have dohc vtec stickers pasted all over it...
or he leaves the keys in it...?

Originally posted by Calesta@Apr 29 2005, 04:38 PM
Yup. If you get it, get the early warning system. That way it calls/pages/emails you the second the car is moved without "your approval". Basically, if your alarm is armed and the car is moved, the system lets you know immediately. It works great for parking in tow-away zones. :lol:
[post=493140]Quoted post[/post]​

the way that sysem works is that theres a transmitter on your key.
if the key is in the car/within a certain amount of feet and the car moves-- either on, rolling down a hill, or towed, it signals an alarm.

i still don't know how they do it.

i mean, if you WALK with your key, how is that different from sitting at your desk, and having your car get towed?? the distance is still increasing. lol i don't know :p

maybe the key and the car have different subfrequencies so they can be distinguished from eachother. :huh:

Back