Lol: 1997 CRV + B16 Auto = WTF ECU?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VTECin5th

Administrator
Hi HS.
I've been MIA again but I return in good faith, looking for some help this time.

I recently had a b16 put into my gf's Automatic CR-V. Yes, good times. Maybe.
I have not yet wired vtec at all, and it's still on the b20 ECU. Shifting at 6100 rpm max. I'm obviously missing out on the entire power band of the b16.

I can't find any GOOD information on what my ECU solution should be.
I cannot find an obd2a p30 Auto ECU. I believe this to exist in the Del Sol and Auto Sir-II. I believe this to be rare but exist. I may be wrong.
I will not use an obd2a p72, thx anyway.

I am willing to convert to obd1, but I'm still stuck here. I can find an auto socketed p28, but then what? Will the p28 control the CR-V's AWD? Is the AWD mechanically controlled, electronically controlled, or both? I have a deal on an obd1 p72, socketed, manual, with an obd2a->obd1 jumper... but I'm stuck here too. The ECU is not Auto, I'm not sure how to make it Auto, and it seems like I'm going to need an Eeprom burned anyway.

I no longer own my burn1, so I'll be looking for a p30 basemap chip, IF I go obd1.
Please help.

Cliffs:
Automatic B16 in a 4wd CRV.
Running on Auto b20 ecu (shifting at 6k rpm)
Need vtec solution.
This will be successful.

My best guess would be an auto P28. I believe the real time AWD is mechanical. Idk why you would replace the torquest B series engine with one that torque is almost non-existent though. Especially in that vehicle. I would have went CR-VTEC if anything.

Idk why you would replace the torquest B series engine with one that torque is almost non-existent though. Especially in that vehicle. I would have went CR-VTEC if anything.

:werd:

I don't think that this setup is really going to be very fun. The B16 is at it's best when it's in the lightest possible chassis and when it's paired with a very short-geared manual transmission. I think the end product here is going to be rather sluggish...

C'mon guys, I evaluated that before this took place. I'll drop a little more detail though.
My gf drove the b20 overheating, until it was burning water at a rapid rate. Upon inspection of the thermostat housing/water inlet pipe, I'm 80% sure the water jackets are fucked. This eliminated me replacing the HG.

Compression was 150, 155, 100, 135. I had a theory, with those numbers, I wasn't putting much down to the wheels anyway. Especially with it burning water in #3.

Surprisingly, the B16 doesn't feel any different so far. But, I'm not making much use of the b16 powerband. If the b20 had 130lb tq new, I'm gonna guess the condition of my b20 was probably equal or less than the 110lb the b16 provides. This is an assumption but I can't tell a difference in power in the low end. I can feel a mid-range 'lack' or torque. Near 3.5k rpm, where the b20 is maxing out tq, the b16 is getting ready for VTECHHHH.

If I get an auto-p28, does that control the 4wd? Is there a different tcm for the 4wd?

Back