look what I found in my motor!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sparkymonkey

I have a d15b7 in a 95 dx and decided to have the valves done. Took the head off and took to machinist. Got it back and while prepping for new gasket, I ran my shopvac over one of the oil drain holes and heard a rattle. I looked down inside, and saw this:eek:

It has been there for a while. You could see on the lip inside the hole that it had been rubbed shiny about 2 mm deep. If this screw was any smaller.....

Does anyone recognize this part and know where it came from?

Attachments

• IMG_3656.JPG
    IMG_3656.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_3654.JPG
    IMG_3654.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 153
maybe from a distributor, my EW1 diz had screws holding the black plastic cove on it, about that same size as far as i can tell

Looks like the screw that holds the side panel case on a desktop computer.

it looks like some kind of screw.. thats for sure.
i think it might have held something onto something else, or maybe tightened one part to another..
:confused:

Well, unless they build computers w/ hardened steel machined screws, I doubt that's where it's from. It does appear to be from an engine or machine. I haven't seen anything missing from the engine, but this is my first honda. The pics don't show much for detail, and I have large hands, so that doesn't help either.

If the screw would have fallen down the left side rear oil drain, it would have fallen to the bottom. If the screw would have been 1mm smaller, it would have fallen.

We bought the car from a kid about 6 months ago and it was a little weak on the top end. I pulled one plug and it was ok but it was little old, so I assumed that it just needed a tune up. The car only had 120k miles on it. Did the plugs and 2 of them had oil on top side. At that point, I did a comp.test found that 2 cylinders had 125, one had 90, and one had 45. After reexamining the plugs, I decided to pull the head and do the valves. After removing the head I found that the cylinders were full of oil deposits from blow by in the valve guides, so I had them done. After pulling the cam, I found why the oil was on the top of the plugs. There was no gaskets between the rocker assembly and the head in 2 of the plug holes!! It appears that the timing belt was recently changed, which would have explained the missing gaskets, and prob. the idiot pos p.o. dropped something down in the oil drain. Then put the car up for sale.

Lucky nothing else happened. Glad you found it. Its scary when you get a car from someone else and find out things may not always be as they seem.

I want to say that screw looks familiar...could be from a computer.

It's not the idle screw though, they're shorter and have point end. Good thing you found it though!

i worked as a lube tech at a honda dealership over the summer and we got a car in that everytime you would brake or give it gas you could hear something rolling from the front to the back.....turns out someone at the factory lost a 10mm socket

i worked as a lube tech at a honda dealership over the summer and we got a car in that everytime you would brake or give it gas you could hear something rolling from the front to the back.....turns out someone at the factory lost a 10mm socket

lol
:whatafucktard:

Back