lookin for you guys opinions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicious

Buck Futter
VIP
i know this is one the most annoying questions i could ask, but still....

im planning on building up my b16...right now, i plan on going for:
Skunk2 Stage 3 camshafts
Skunk2 valvesprings & retainers
B&M FPR
JDM CTR pistons

all that would end up costing me around $1600 from inlinefour.com

or, i'd thoght about getting a package from raceeng.com, that would include Wyseco pistons/rings and ARP rods/wristpins for around $750..... and then just get some CTR or Skunk2 stage 1 or CTR cams....which would be about $1400

what are you guy's opinions on the Wyseco pistons vs. the CTR's...as well as Skunk stage 1 vs CTR cams...

also, does anyone know of a dyno sheet for the stage 3 cams? everywhere i look for the dynos for the skunk2 cams, i can only find stage 1's, which made like 17hp.

any inpout it appreciated, thanks!

the skunk2 3's aren't really a streetable cam, because it has such a high lift you would also have to upgrade your valvetrain as well. You can run it on the street but it requires alot of tuning, hondata etc, and higher compression and more money to get the cams to perform. A much different cam than the ctr or stage 1. You would be happy with a stage 2. It maintains a close to stock primary lobes with some crazy vtec lobes, but you will have to upgrage your valvetrain for those as well.

Those pistons won't give you enough comperssion to really use the Stage 3 cams. I think that you would be beter off going for the Stage 2 cams and some tuning with those pistons.

i wounldn't bother with the pistons, if your going to open up the bottomend of the motor I would do it when you plan to rebuild or upgrade to a 1.8.

SS2's I would go with, larger fuel pump and if more fuel is needed then injectors.

so far so good

so now i'm sitting at:

skunk2 stage 2 cams
skunk2 valvesprings/retainers
either a fpr or fuel pump

there's a set of stage 2's with valvesprings and retainers on ebay for a grand buy it now...fuck i wish i didnt have a damn $1300 credit card bill to pay...

Originally posted by civicious@Jan 16 2004, 12:59 AM
oh, and shoud i get adjustible cam gears?? or no?

yes you want adj cam gears so that way you can tune your shit...

as for pistons, check into WIESCO pistons.. custom made pistons

and sense your going all motor, you want your pistons to be light as possible

Originally posted by civicious@Jan 16 2004, 12:55 AM
so now i'm sitting at:

skunk2 stage 2 cams
skunk2 valvesprings/retainers
either a fpr or fuel pump

there's a set of stage 2's with valvesprings and retainers on ebay for a grand buy it now...fuck i wish i didnt have a damn $1300 credit card bill to pay...

You are still going to want to increase the compression with those cams.

Due to the duration/lift, more pressure is going to be bleed through the partially open intake valve ABDC.

Look into dynamic compression, and crank pressure, and you can find out exactly how much compression will be best for your particular cams.

Back