Lookin to buy my first bike guys.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have actually been considering that 250 this year. They got one in blue on the showroom and are getting one black and one red also. The really good thing is that it even looks fast and not like some little scooter bike.

Right, and I'm definitely hoping I can get my hands on it. I got no word today, good or bad, so we'll wait and see how tomorrow goes. I also talked to my buddy who had an 06(?) 250R and he said the one and only complaint he had was that sometimes it was a rough start in the cold, because of the carbs, but other than that, he said it was probably his favorite bike yet, which even more secured my thoughts on the bike.

I guess now we'll just have to get it into my possession. If they call tomorrow, with good news, I can probably get ahold of it Monday, maybe Tuesday at the latest.

Keep your fingers crossed :)
they would tell you within a couple hours if you are approved. and the '08's are FI.

As far as I am concerned 250 500 are a waste of time. you are going to out grow it. And anyone that tells you ( you are not ready for a 600 ) or anything higher is a fucking retard. As long as you have some common sense to know what you are riding and don't take it for granted you will be fine. My first bike was a 2000 ZX9R. Rode it for 4 seasons and I used that bike for my test. I always say " It all depends on how much you crack that throttle".
Here's the thing.
Not only were a ton of good points made, but when it breaks down to it, I'm 19. It's unrealistic for me to still be in my senior year of highschool and decide to pick up a CBR and $9k worth of motorcycledebt. Car, maybe. They're more necessary. But the bikes are just fun. I can realistically take this 250, say I get it, and have it paid off within 2 years, and when I'm ready, make some money back. Look in this thread alone how people have talked about 250's, but who out there is ready to buy a 2000?

Personally I can see a 2000 as a casket for myself.

I know I can handle more than a 250, I learned on a 500 on back roads and hills. I don't doubt that I can handle a 600. If they sold 600's for the same price as the 250's, that's what I'd choose. Definitely. But the 5 and 600's are significantly more expensive, and, that's making the 250 the winner.

they would tell you within a couple hours if you are approved. and the '08's are FI.
Unfortunately, thats what I figured. I guess I'm just trying to be optimistic about it :(

FI?

FI: Fuel injected. I read that they were too to pass California emissions, but the ones that I saw at the dealership said they were carbbed. Now ITB FI and ITB carbs with sensors look similar, so I'm not sure. It has a choke lever and reserve petcock, but my 12 has a choke too.

Also, he said "2000 ZX9r", not a 2000 cc bike. BIIIG difference :) His first bike, the zx9R, was a heavy HEAVY bike that is very unforgiving. Nice bikes though, the 900 kawa motor is rock solid and the bike commonly lasts for many miles (The two that I know of in person have over 20,000 on them and still going strong)

you WILL grow tired of a 250. That's fine, you're supposed to. I did, but I regret the decision to get rid of it, because no matter how slow it was, it was WAY more of a fun machine to ride than the others.

Also, don't knock scooters. There are some bad-ass scooters out there.

Here's the thing.
Not only were a ton of good points made, but when it breaks down to it, I'm 19. It's unrealistic for me to still be in my senior year of highschool and decide to pick up a CBR and $9k worth of motorcycledebt. Car, maybe. They're more necessary. But the bikes are just fun. I can realistically take this 250, say I get it, and have it paid off within 2 years, and when I'm ready, make some money back. Look in this thread alone how people have talked about 250's, but who out there is ready to buy a 2000?

Personally I can see a 2000 as a casket for myself.

I know I can handle more than a 250, I learned on a 500 on back roads and hills. I don't doubt that I can handle a 600. If they sold 600's for the same price as the 250's, that's what I'd choose. Definitely. But the 5 and 600's are significantly more expensive, and, that's making the 250 the winner.

Unfortunately, thats what I figured. I guess I'm just trying to be optimistic about it :(

FI?
Hey I am not saying there is anything wrong with rockin the 250. You want a scooter to ride and know what your financial restrictions are and in my opinion that is great. You made a smart decision to settle for a lower cc that is brand new, warranty, turn key and no worries.:thumbsup:

Also, he said "2000 ZX9r", not a 2000 cc bike. BIIIG difference :) His first bike, the zx9R, was a heavy HEAVY bike that is very unforgiving. Nice bikes though, the 900 kawa motor is rock solid and the bike commonly lasts for many miles (The two that I know of in person have over 20,000 on them and still going strong)

you WILL grow tired of a 250. That's fine, you're supposed to. I did, but I regret the decision to get rid of it, because no matter how slow it was, it was WAY more of a fun machine to ride than the others.

Also, don't knock scooters. There are some bad-ass scooters out there.

It wasn't that heavy and I regret getting rid of it. It was a strong ass motor. I put some seriously abusive miles on that bike. It had 4700 miles on it when I bought it for 4k and 19600 when I sold it for 3k.

Right right, I know this much, the guy at the dealership even told me. But he said look at it this way. It'll take me a bit to get tired of a 650+, but a 250 or 500, I'll get tired of each at about the same rate. So that being the case, why not opt for the smaller one, which will be more forgiving if needed, more manageable as a first bike, and I'll get more money for when I'm ready to sell and move up?

Hey I am not saying there is anything wrong with rockin the 250. You want a scooter to ride and know what your financial restrictions are and in my opinion that is great. You made a smart decision to settle for a lower cc that is brand new, warranty, turn key and no worries.:thumbsup:

:)

actually let me qualify this a bit
if you are talking highway riding or loose corners (50mph+) a street bike will flat out walk away from a supermoto... mostly due to simply having more power and a higher top speed
on tighter more technical corners a supermoto is kinda like a lotus or a spec miata... it can hold a higher speed both into and through the corner, requires less braking, and later braking heading into the corner...

I've ridden a supermoto...

I don't use my bike to commute - it's solely a twisty-backroad-slash-track bike. On average, I do 2.5x the posted 'curve speed', sometimes more (i.e. if it's marked 40, I'll go in at 100) - and I can tell you, there's no way a supermoto would hang corners that way. Maybe at 50mph, but not at the speeds I ride.

Hell, throw a couplea supermotos on the track next trackday, see how they keep up :)

I'm still waiting. He said that my application for the "Good Times" Kawasaki card was declined, because my current income of about $1200 a month isn't enough, so he said that he's going to try 2 other places, that they finance with, and see what he can get me. This was on Saturday, and he said he'd give me a call today if he got it all worked out, and tomorrow at the latest. So, we'll see what goes on. If he doesn't happen to give me a call within the next 20 or 30 minutes or so, then we'll see about tomorrow, since I have to work 2-1230 tonight :(

How about calling your bank and seeing what they can do for you???

We'll see by tomorrow, since I'll be making a stop to the bank anyway. I've been checking out some reviews, textual and video (youtube) and I really haven't heard anything bad about the bike, for the money that is. I just don't want to get my hopes up, I have a really bad habit of doing that. Keep your fingers crossed

I've ridden a supermoto...

I don't use my bike to commute - it's solely a twisty-backroad-slash-track bike. On average, I do 2.5x the posted 'curve speed', sometimes more (i.e. if it's marked 40, I'll go in at 100) - and I can tell you, there's no way a supermoto would hang corners that way. Maybe at 50mph, but not at the speeds I ride.

Hell, throw a couplea supermotos on the track next trackday, see how they keep up :)

Perhaps Texas roads. New England roads, and your speeds will be different. Supermoto is a good choice around here.

I decided to get my fat bike because of my perpensity to travel on the highways for long distances.

Perhaps Texas roads. New England roads, and your speeds will be different. Supermoto is a good choice around here.

I decided to get my fat bike because of my perpensity to travel on the highways for long distances.

As of this year, however, the 636 is primarily a track bike.

I'll believe that a supermoto can outhandle a supersport bike when one passes me on the track. I'll be sure and let you guys know when it happens.

Well an update: I went down there today, and the guy wasn't there. Today is his off day, I guess. I talked to the financing lady, said that she didn't even get my application, so I was irritated. She put my application in, and I just got a call back saying that I need a good cosigner. So I'm going to have my mom give it a go. If it goes, then we're good to go. If not, then I guess it's a no-go.

i would lie on the application. tell them you make more money than you do. say it over the phone though so they can't ask for proof. when i got financed on my R6,they didn't even ask for a pay stub. yamaha credit line FTW

Are you going to ride on the streets anymore then ?

I doubt it - I rarely ride on the streets as it is. I usually ride 6-700 miles Sunday mornings, unless I'm at the track, and the rest of the week the bike stays in my garage. Maybe once a month, if even that, I ride it to work.

I'm sure I'll take it out on the street occasionally, but rarely if ever.

Well an update: I went down there today, and the guy wasn't there. Today is his off day, I guess. I talked to the financing lady, said that she didn't even get my application, so I was irritated. She put my application in, and I just got a call back saying that I need a good cosigner. So I'm going to have my mom give it a go. If it goes, then we're good to go. If not, then I guess it's a no-go.

Try Capital One. They have specific bike loans, but try for a personal loan too. They have secured loans for the amount that you're asking for, or the "Blank Check loan", which is what I got to get my house / Vega / pay back Turbomirage.

I had not so good credit for that loan, I was surprised I got it. They will hold the lien against the item, and give you a regular term to pay it off. IT's not a revolving credit loan, like the Go Green shit.

MAKE SURE you don't get it on revolving credit. Other than that, just eat ramen and make some sacrifices and pay out of pocket for something. It's out there.

Back