1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking at a ZC 1.6 for my 91 CRX

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA' started by Periculum, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Periculum

Periculum Senior Member

Im looking at a ZC DOHC that is a local sale in the Iwanta and was wondering what to look for in, on, around, about the engine. I checked it out yesterday and they even ran compression for me so I could see. 1,2,3 all hit 180-182, 4 hit 175+. There is oil on the transmission and they assumed TDC sensor gakset or valve cover gasket. They claim that it hasnt burned off much, if any oil, while he drove it. Engine ran fine, couldnt drive it cause its a wrecked car though. Also, it is a red-top valve cover. I thought I heard that the color meant something, but cant remember what it meant. They have put about 9k miles on it and got it with 35-50k on it from Cali.

Hes selling the whole car (90 civic, right side hit) for $650.

If theres anything else I should ask about the engine or find out, please let me know. Id like to make an informed decision on this engine.

2. cheese9988

cheese9988 Senior Member VIP

Red top? Was it painted? Your talking the DOHC ZC, no vtec right? I think only some b series had a red valve cover. The black cover is what you want, ask him if he painted it. Check to see if any of the sensors are broke especially the tps sensor on the back of the throttle body, if its broke see if he will replace it.

3. drpenguin

drpenguin Senior Member

The valve cover could have been painted people do it all the time. As the the engine grab it. If its engine tranny and ecu thats a steal. They for got a grand for that set up from nippon. Me personally I would have it re-built befor you put it in yours.

4. Periculum

Periculum Senior Member

Not sure if the red-top was painted. It is chipping off a little, looks like silver underneath (would seem to me that it was red from the shop. If not, its a great paint job on the valve cover) He ran the engine off the d16 ecu I think. He had to drastically advance the distributor to keep it from throwing codes, but the engine and transmission will be coming with the car. Id love to have it rebuilt, but part of this idea of buying the ZC is that I dont want to shell out the cash for rebuilding my HF (for MPG). So i figured this would be a good bet. Ill be doing as much maintenance as possible before I drop it in though. Valve cover gasket, adjust valves, replace clutch, etc.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted