Looking at welders

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
Ok, I know very little about welders but I want to change that. I want to get one and learn to weld. My question is about which one to get. I want to be able to do basic stuff with it, body work, maybe a manifold/ic piping, and just random project stuff. What should I be looking at?

what kinda budget are you going to working within?

Arc is the easiest to learn, its how i started. Mig/Tig welding are next easiest, and they are the most useful (i think). Finally there is oxy. As far as oxy is concerned, there have been a few times ive needed an oxy torch. Basically the only thing i have used oxy for is to heat sheet metal and make it easier to shape. I know it is good for more than that, but ive been able to use the tig and mig for all WELDING apps.

IMO, you will get the most use out of a MIG welder, and they are very easy to use, pretty much just point and pull the trigger. I don't know what you guys have on the east coast but I would check Lowe's or a store like that for a cheapie unit

make sure you get one that has gas option. you dont want to use flux core, it burns hotter and leaves a crappy weld.

Cool, I can't wait to start playing around with one. Now I just need the cash, hopefully by school.

Definatey get a machine that will tig, but it also has to have the correct frequency to weld aluiminum...and they can get pricey!

i believe my lincoln was approx 500 or 525 with tax
it came with the hoses and gauges, all you need is a tank ful of gas

most welding is ok with flux core wire, gas will help out a lot, but its really not required unless you're doing sheetmetal/bodywork, then its almost necessary to prevent warping of the metal

if you're on a real tight budget you could look into getting one in the 100-200 dollar range, they won't be great but if you're just trying to learn and aren't sure if its something you'll be moving forward with then this might be a good practice welder to get the feel of things
i can give you a site or two if you choose to go this route

Back