Looking for a Car, Need HS's help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i see everyone likes the 2.5RS, i've been looking for one but they are real hard to find.

Originally posted by tylonalsnifnfool@Jun 28 2005, 07:06 PM
i see everyone likes the 2.5RS, i've been looking for one but they are real hard to find.
[post=517638]Quoted post[/post]​

They're not that hard to find, you're just going to pay through the ass for one even with high mileage.

If you do find one, you have to hop on it fast.

A nice one with 89k for 6500 obo was 1 1/2 hrs from me and I couldn't get out to it. Within calling for every day for about 3-4days the car was sold for last i checked 6600+ when his ad specifically said 6500 obo.

www.i-club.com
www.clubwrx.net
www.nasioc.com
www.rs25.com

For your subaru needs. Those are enthuisiast sites though so you can expect to pay top dollar for those cars, plus most are modded so its hard to find one thats not beat on. I prefer to find them on autotrader or cars.com

If you're not in it for looks, you can pick up a 2.5 Legacy GT for far cheaper with the same engine and AWD system in it. It would take $2000 or so to make it look like a 2.5rs/wrx but hey if you were just going to modify it anyway to look how you wanted to make it look its not that big of deal.

Originally posted by Blanco@Jun 28 2005, 05:12 PM
You should be able to find a nice mid-'90's BMW 325IS in the $6000-8000 range. This is going to be my next car.
[post=517571]Quoted post[/post]​

He said it doesn't matter if its RWD or not, but I have to remind people if they're going to drive in snow often then the bimmer isn't the right choice for you.

I looked at quite a few 325i/is's over the past 6 months or so. They're fairly nice cars and about the only bimmer in the price range that you can find in excellent condition with less than 100k on the car if you're lucky. Definately no M series car but the ass end still likes to get fish tail happy when its wet/snow out.

You can look at 5 series but the mileage is going to be up there.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 28 2005, 11:47 PM
snow tires.

rwd with snows isn't bad.
[post=517824]Quoted post[/post]​

y0 let me hit that crack pipe too...

B, you're from NE. You should know how damn bad winters are and if its not the snow that gets you, its sliding the ass end out on all the gravel/salt thats put down on the roads.

I've driven mustangs in the winter. It can be done. Is it comfortable to do? No. Do I feel as safe as I should in a car that I know that is always going to be squirrely in an entire winter of intermittent climate? No and thats not a good thing.

To those who have the balls to live in a snowy state and drive RWD all year round as a daily driver and actually commute THROUGH snow and be snowed in constantly, I salute you.

my friend Ray drove nothing but RX7s year round for YEARS... now hes got a few different vehicles for winter use
Bill has had no problem what so ever dealing with winter conditions in his 328is
i know a few other people that drive RWD vehicles year round

good snow tires are a requirement
knowing how to drive is a requirement

but it is not as bad as people make it out to be

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jun 28 2005, 11:57 PM
my friend Ray drove nothing but RX7s year round for YEARS... now hes got a few different vehicles for winter use
Bill has had no problem what so ever dealing with winter conditions in his 328is
i know a few other people that drive RWD vehicles year round

good snow tires are a requirement
knowing how to drive is a requirement

but it is not as bad as people make it out to be
[post=517840]Quoted post[/post]​

As I said, I can do it but there's a definate different feeling. The car isn't in the same control. I know what to do if it starts to slide, I know the whole deal but just having a car that doesn't feel like its in contact with the road 100% of the time for a bad winter would wear on me.

well, living in maryland, i get a decent amount of snow and dont have much problem getting around in my '01 mustang gt. you just have to know how to drive it, like starting off in 2nd gear and know the car's limits like when the abs is going to kick in. plus traction control helps alot too :)

2.5 RS's are REALLY expensive for what they are, what's the big deal with them anyway??

How responsive is a BMW to mods? I want to be able to pep something up...

Originally posted by NoJokE@Jun 29 2005, 12:35 AM
2.5 RS's are REALLY expensive for what they are, what's the big deal with them anyway??

How responsive is a BMW to mods? I want to be able to pep something up...
[post=517866]Quoted post[/post]​

Did you just say mods and BMW? ...and you're on a budget? Not happening.

The big deal about 2.5rs's are they are pretty much identical to wrx's. If you spent the 3k to buy a turbo 'kit' for a 2.5RS or pieced one together yourself for cheaper, you'd have a car that handles better than a WRX and is faster.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Jun 29 2005, 01:37 AM

The big deal about 2.5rs's are they are pretty much identical to wrx's. If you spent the 3k to buy a turbo 'kit' for a 2.5RS or pieced one together yourself for cheaper, you'd have a car that handles better than a WRX and is faster.
[post=517868]Quoted post[/post]​

well not completely. The engine has rather high compression, and are not the best canidates for turbo kits. Yes people do them all the time, but they can't handle that much boost.

The engine bays are identical to WRX's but wireing is quite a bit diffrent. Makes a honda swap look like a joke. Parts are not as strong, as many recommend upping to WRX rear ends and such. The parts are really expensive for them. To up to the JDM 2 piston WRX calipers, its around a 500 grand total mod. They need a decent amount of suspension work done to them, as in stock form, the ride is EXTREMLY soft, and understeers alot.

Plus's about them are they look great. Its the last 2 door Impreza and IMO the best looking body style of the impreza. Although, as many people say (and even many car mag reviews like car and driver) the car comes pre=riced from the factory, as it has 7 "vents" on the front end that are not functional. The body has all the STI stuff on it, without the STI performance. Because they are rather rare cars, and there is a scoobie craze, to find one is EXTREMLY hard, and their prices are always REALLY high. Keep in mind, They could have been bought from the dealer for under 20k and today, one in good condition can easily go for 10-12k.

Reliability is not the greatest. They blow head gaskets left and right. The 98's expessially have problems. Three out of 4 of the 2.5RS I looked at had a replaced engine due to head gaskets issues.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jun 29 2005, 09:12 AM-->
New2TheCarScene
@Jun 29 2005, 01:37 AM

[post=517868]Quoted post[/post]​

well not completely. The engine has rather high compression, and are not the best canidates for turbo kits. Yes people do them all the time, but they can't handle that much boost.

The engine bays are identical to WRX's but wireing is quite a bit diffrent. Makes a honda swap look like a joke. Parts are not as strong, as many recommend upping to WRX rear ends and such. The parts are really expensive for them. To up to the JDM 2 piston WRX calipers, its around a 500 grand total mod. They need a decent amount of suspension work done to them, as in stock form, the ride is EXTREMLY soft, and understeers alot.

Plus's about them are they look great. Its the last 2 door Impreza and IMO the best looking body style of the impreza. Although, as many people say (and even many car mag reviews like car and driver) the car comes pre=riced from the factory, as it has 7 "vents" on the front end that are not functional. The body has all the STI stuff on it, without the STI performance. Because they are rather rare cars, and there is a scoobie craze, to find one is EXTREMLY hard, and their prices are always REALLY high. Keep in mind, They could have been bought from the dealer for under 20k and today, one in good condition can easily go for 10-12k.

Reliability is not the greatest. They blow head gaskets left and right. The 98's expessially have problems. Three out of 4 of the 2.5RS I looked at had a replaced engine due to head gaskets issues.
[post=517963]Quoted post[/post]​

'98 is the only year that has a known head gasket problem from my research. It was covered by warranty once they found it.

'99 got rid of the problem because they opted to go SOHC rather than the previous DOHC. So if you can get your hands on a '98 with a replaced headgasket or one that never had any leak problems then you have a good turbo canidate. The car is much lighter than the WRX and you don't need to boost very much to be above a wrx. At 8psi I believe its rated at around 250hp to the flywheel whereas the WRX is 227hp to the flywheel. Start turning up the boost and you may have a problem but the car is an excellent canidate for light boost or auto-x potential.

Most people with WRX's now upgrade to STI parts anyway, so although its not cheap to go from 2.5rs to STI if you want to you can but meanwhile many of the WRX guys are giving their parts away to help cover the cost to their STI conversions. If everyone wants the big bad ass on the block, the sti, then its just going to drive WRX prices down. 2.5RS stuff isn't cheap because although they're not extremely rare, they are becoming a rarety.

Back