Looking for a good yet cheap rice cooker.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
I need to pick up a Rice cooker becuase I'm tired of cleaning my damn exspensive ass pot.

anywho, Amazon.com seems to push a lot of Zojirushi's products. Have any of you used that brand? I've heard great stuff about Panasonic, but thie Zojirushi company seems to be pretty spiffy.

what do you guys use?

BTW for the most part I cook Sticky rice, sushi rice and so on. very rare is it your normal white rice.

P.S I picked up some kick ass Kimchi last weekend Mmmmmmmm sooooo good. ate almost half of it so far.

I always use a non-stick pot... I have pretty nice pots, though. Thick stuff, not thin wally world garbage...

Then, when done, I fill it with water and let it sit overnight in the sink.. next morning, it dumps right out.

Originally posted by phyregod@Sep 13 2005, 11:55 PM
I always use a non-stick pot... I have pretty nice pots, though. Thick stuff, not thin wally world garbage...

Then, when done, I fill it with water and let it sit overnight in the sink.. next morning, it dumps right out.
[post=554122]Quoted post[/post]​

You shouldnt (in my case) let water sit in the pots over night.

I cook rice almost daily so I'd much rather just get a cooker.

Calphalon isnt the best pot to use for rice. once in awhile I dont' mind but once again almost daily. it's a lot of wear on a very nice pot.

Airjockie actually gave me his rice cooker. I had to toss it.

As an american, I can just tell you - Cup of water to cup of rice, 5 minutes - Uncle Bens baby :)

I recently, however, read up on how you other-landers eat rice. Goddam. One article said something like :

"If you're vietnamese living in the US, you've often been in this situation: You're at a friend's house, they cook rice. They prepare an entire box for you."

HAHAHah omg this is too funny... uhmm id say buy the zojiroshi cuz their cheap and i think martin yan sponsors them!! (if yan can cook SO CAN YOU!) but if you want some quality rice man.. go to one of those oriental seafood markets and buy some elephant rice there (brand name) or jasmine and cook it in a metal pot.. thats the best way to cook rice.. but if you want instant in twenty minutes.. get the zojirushi rice cooker :) ... you ever eat bulgogi?? thats another korean dish that i like besides the kimchee... they also make kimchee with baby cucumbers.. they are BOMB!!!!

and when i eat at a vietnamese friends house.. they eat pho (pronounced fuh) all the time... u should try that also

or mongolian beef if your into mandarin cooking

or pancit if youd like to try filipino... im filipino/chinese and my half brothers are korean and filipino.. so we have all sorts of different dishes at home all the time

step one...buy a rice cooker...

Anything in the likes of that Zojiroshi product will work...

And steve....I found that cord the other day for your cooker we gave you...it's on my toolbox..

Step two...put the amount of rice in the pot for the rice cooker....and head over to the kitchen sink...

Fill with water...and make sure your hands are clean...and wash the rice vigourissly...

rinse...and wash again....

untill the water in the pot is clear...and not cloudy....

then drain the water out...and do a final rinse...

then add clean water..(bottled water is the best) and fill it till you cover the rice about a 1/2 inch over the rice...

Then cook..... :)

oh for the measurement.. add enough water and dip your middle finger in... when it hits right just BARELY under the first line.. is the perfect measure.. but sometimes i like stickier rice so i tend to add a lil more water.. at the point exactly where the line is.. but ive always been taught that perfect rice should be right under the first line on your middle finger :)

n dont rinse out the rice too much cuz ull lose all the nutrients it has

Originally posted by Airjockie@Sep 14 2005, 12:28 AM

And steve....I found that cord the other day for your cooker we gave you...it's on my toolbox..

[post=554143]Quoted post[/post]​

AW SHIT ! Well, it was all rusty from sitting around anyway. Dammit...

-> Steve

I thought that cord was lost forever. Lemme see if I can dig it up.. don't toss the cord yet.

Originally posted by Airjockie@Sep 13 2005, 11:28 PM
step one...buy a rice cooker...

Anything in the likes of that Zojiroshi product will work...

Step two...put the amount of rice in the pot for the rice cooker....and head over to the kitchen sink...

Fill with water...and make sure your hands are clean...and wash the rice vigourissly...

rinse...and wash again....

untill the water in the pot is clear...and not cloudy....

then drain the water out...and do a final rinse...

then add clean water..(bottled water is the best) and fill it till you cover the rice about a 1/2 inch over the rice...

Then cook..... :)
[post=554143]Quoted post[/post]​

:lol: this is the japanese way....even my grandma describes how to cook rice this way.

Question is not how to cook rice, but, what's a good rice cooker. I've been cooking for over 10 years now =)~ My parents have steamers but now that Im on my own I just use a pot for rice.

The sushi rice I have is what I really enjoy, very sticky (easy chop stick use and great flavor). I also use elephant sweet rice. Its good but I like the sushi rice more. the sushi rice I use is Hun Kuk Mi Sushi rice.

I've grown up around asian foods, Both of my older brothers have lived in Japan at one point and both of them have been to almost every asian county but never lived in any other other then japan. One of my brothers back in his college years dated a Korean girl who was a VERY GOOD cook =) Mmmm her name was Soo. (sue)

On top of that I'm seeing a Pino So I've tasted asian first hand... um I mean food =)

My newest thing in food is learning how to make asian dishes from your basic every day Chinese food to traditional Japanese and Korean. I'm trying to make 4-5 new dishes a week to build a good base on getting use to what to use for X flavor and so on.

so far this week I've made

Stir Fried chicken with dried red pepper.
Chick cubes with chili bean sauce.
General Tso's chicken

Later on in the week I plan on making
Beef and broccoli
and a few new types of sushi (IF) I can find a legit place to buy fish.
My brother use to get the fish at a store near his old house (tad bit far from here) I havnt made sushi since he left the country yet again.

gallery_3_9_47512.jpg

General Tso's chicken from tonight. Would have been perfect if I had another 4-6oz of chicken.

Marinade chicken with.

soy sauce
white pepper
egg
corn starch

precook and set aside.

heat wok up and heat up 1tbs of oil with redpeppers, scallions, ginger, garlic.

then add (mix up on the side before adding)

H20
soy sauce
white vinger
rice wine
chicken broth
sugar
corn starch

add the mix in with the roasting garlic/ginger/redpeppers and add chicken.
once it reaches a boil it should be fully reduced to a nice thick sauce. you may have noticed sesame seeds in the picture. I like sesame seeds so I added them.

anywho. easy!

very yummy.

BTW have any of you ever tried Birds Nest? sounds like it's not very cheap.

BTWX2 washing the rice is a personal preference....

being that I eat rice every day, i've noticed that it it has nothing to do with the cooker itself. it's all in the brand of rice. some people say rice is rice but to us Filipino's I can taste the fucking difference. The middle finger measurement is dead on to me lol but i usually go to the first line on my finger, it makes the rice just a little bit more sticky to where it's just perfect.

Jasmine Rice > Any other brand

FWIW....I called the wife...and she said the above mentioned cooker is fine...

on another note...the rice cooker that we have is made by Panasonic....I think...I'll verify when I get home...and the wife bought it and has been using it since....uhmmmm....A LONG FUCKING TIME AGO....it's over 17 years old.....and it still works, and looks like it is brand new...and my house goes thru a lot of rice... :blink:

17 FRIGGEN YEARS.... :ph34r:

Back