Looking for a good yet cheap rice cooker.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by swanny+Sep 14 2005, 08:16 PM-->
Heres another really detailed General Tso recipe.
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1237921
Shit made my mouth water.
[post=554704]Quoted post[/post]​

Wow. Good link! Too bad I don't have a real wok or a gas stove...

Battle Pope
@Sep 14 2005, 08:16 PM
damn dude. sorry - I figured everybody knew what a rice cooker was...
[post=554705]Quoted post[/post]​

Nope. I didn't even know that you were supposed to cook rice! I just eat mine dry. No wonder it's so crunchy when I eat it at home! I guess I'll have to go look for a rice cooker now.

Wait- there's like... THREE of them in my kitchen cabinets. DAMN! How did those get there?! The previous east Texas owner must have really liked rice for a short period of time to leave those in the house for me. Wow... now I can start eating COOKED RICE!

:lmao:

I was at bed bath and beyond today, I picked up some rendom cooking things. While I was there I took a look at some rice cookers. They had this tiny 3 cup rice cooker. $14.99 I figured, shit why not try it out? if it sucks I will just toss it.

I cooked two different batches of rice tonight and the thing worked great. I have a feeling that it wont hold up for very long but if it does it will end up being one of the best $14.99 I've spent.

http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p21416288?sourceid=3

If Rachelle moves in with me anytime soon I will end up buying a 5+cup rice cooker. She can down some rice, damn pinos............

Anywho, for now this should do the job.

Originally posted by Calesta+Sep 14 2005, 07:31 PM-->
Originally posted by swanny@Sep 14 2005, 08:16 PM
Heres another really detailed General Tso recipe.
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1237921
Shit made my mouth water.
[post=554704]Quoted post[/post]​

Wow. Good link! Too bad I don't have a real wok or a gas stove...

Battle Pope
@Sep 14 2005, 08:16 PM
damn dude. sorry - I figured everybody knew what a rice cooker was...
[post=554705]Quoted post[/post]​

Nope. I didn't even know that you were supposed to cook rice! I just eat mine dry. No wonder it's so crunchy when I eat it at home! I guess I'll have to go look for a rice cooker now.

Wait- there's like... THREE of them in my kitchen cabinets. DAMN! How did those get there?! The previous east Texas owner must have really liked rice for a short period of time to leave those in the house for me. Wow... now I can start eating COOKED RICE!

:lmao:
[post=554713]Quoted post[/post]​

...you a-hole. :p

Originally posted by jeffie7@Sep 14 2005, 09:35 PM

If Rachelle moves in with me anytime soon I will end up buying a 5+cup rice cooker. She can down some rice, damn pinos............

[post=554715]Quoted post[/post]​

Damn, a 5 cup? that's weak sauce... I cook 8 cups of rice in our 10 cup rice cooker every morning, it last the whole day.

and yes, we flip's can down some rice :D

I've been using a $20 rice cooker for the past three years and havn't had much in the way of problems. And we usually use it at least three times a week (mmmm, curry). Only thing i can think of is the little plastic steam-restrictor-thing fell out, but its easy to compensate by adding a bit more water.

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR+Sep 14 2005, 10:49 PM-->
@Sep 14 2005, 09:35 PM

[post=554715]Quoted post[/post]​

Damn, a 5 cup? that's weak sauce... I cook 8 cups of rice in our 10 cup rice cooker every morning, it last the whole day.

and yes, we flip's can down some rice :D
[post=554768]Quoted post[/post]​

that's why I said 5+ =)

8 cups of rice is like what? 4lbs of cooked rice?

Originally posted by Calesta@Sep 14 2005, 07:18 PM
What's a rice cooker?
[post=554659]Quoted post[/post]​

b1_2.JPG

bahahha nice once dark hand. i think if u just add fuel to the top and light a match, itll be ready in less than 5 mins. beat that uncle ben.

that yushijori brand or watever works fine, but the best are the ones with the animals. i think a tiger or elephant, dont know name off hand. but its very sturdy and lasts awhile even if u slam the lid a lot. and then bitch slap by mom.

anyway, airjockie's method of cooking rice is the best method. it makes the rice clean and fresh. if ur lazy u can just add hot water and cook, but usually it has a hay-ey smell and yellowish, but edible :ph34r:. its also preferred u soak it 1 hr in advance. but its really preference and water is also too. some like it mushy and sticky and some like it dry. it doesnt matter to me :lol: .

anyway, at home we go trhough about 8-12cups a day depending if people had to work or not. usually when everyone works, everyone downs it and we cook it 3 times a day with 4 cups each time. :p

oh yeah and jasmine isnt a brand of rice, its a type. it has a tea like and its sort of like long grain. and yes its really good, but thai foody than anything. i prefer regular rice with everything else.

we have a "Tiger" brand cooker...works good i guess, cost like $25 from the asian store. for sticky rice, we use some this woven basket with a pot(sorta hard to clean it because the rice sticks to it but it works good)...ill try to get pics later.

My family has a no name brand we got at Uwagimaya's. For 80 bucks its pretty nice. Has an LCD screen, cooks 10 cups at a time, and has the re-heat option. We use nothing but jasmine though.

It's kind of funny, when I was in 5th grade and the step family moved in, I was like odd, rice with steak? now a meal isn't complete without a side of rice.

Originally posted by Battle Pope+Sep 14 2005, 08:53 PM-->
...you a-hole. :p
[post=554725]Quoted post[/post]​

:p :D :lol:

Originally posted by DarkHand@Sep 15 2005, 08:51 AM
b1_2.JPG

[post=554884]Quoted post[/post]​

Nah, that's just rice. This is a rice cooker:

CL_mwmeet_640_178.jpg

Killed 'em every time. :)

Slammed89Integra
@Sep 16 2005, 04:59 PM
My family has a no name brand we got at Uwagimaya's. For 80 bucks its pretty nice. Has an LCD screen, cooks 10 cups at a time, and has the re-heat option. We use nothing but jasmine though.

It's kind of funny, when I was in 5th grade and the step family moved in, I was like odd, rice with steak? now a meal isn't complete without a side of rice.
[post=555665]Quoted post[/post]​

Jasmine = good stuff... my favorite! Katie likes Basmati rice.

To the original poster- there's really no need for anything fancy. A $20 Crap and Decker at Wal-Fart works just find to make great rice. That's all I use.

Head gasket let go... I've been waiting for an opportunity to tow it up to Intercrew, but I haven't had the cash or time to do it.

Back