looking for a job

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Things are bad in the northwest. I was almost 2 years out of work, with only a handful of callbacks and no interviews.

Unfortunately, with the limited amount of jobs out there, companies are holding out for the more experienced people.

The company i work for releases internal job openings before publicly posting them, and only a couple of us out of about 30 people meet their bare minimum pre-requisites. The ones that don't meet the requirements, were lucky to have applied when we started getting busy around the beginning of the year... If I were to apply for my current job now (like when i did when i first got out of school 4 years ago) there is no way in hell they would hire me... Hell, even now I'm one of the few that meet their pre-req's...

Anyways, keep sticking with it, you're bound to come across something.. Good luck!

Last edited:
Are you hitting the pavement like it is a job? 9 to 5 five days a week? Are you looking exclusively for a job in your field or are you opening it up?

When I worked for Safeway I worked nights stocking shelves. Went through quit a few people, not to many 19 year olds where willing to do absolute bitch work at o dark thirty but it got me by until I could find something that was a little more stable and better paying. Networking goes a long ways too, find some spots to volunteer maybe and just make yourself a general pain in the ass with places you want to work. Follow up on apps in person as well. Make sure you resume is tailored specificly for the job you are applying for. Keep it down to one page. HR departments are getting slammed with apps all the time. If they cant get a feel in one page they may end up passing it over.

If you're getting rejected due to experience, offer to work for a week for free, no strings.
if they don't think you can do it, you carry on.
if they think you can, they can hire you for the position.

and bust your ass that week.

you may get used, but it might get you a good job out of it too if you know your shit and work hard.

apprentice would be lower pay, working with or shadowing someone more experienced

your best bet would be to try and get a job at a shop sweeping up, cleaning up tools, taking out garbage, etc
then when they need a hand here or there you can help them out until they realize you can work on cars by yourself and they hire someone else to do the bitch work

reckedracing said:
apprentice would be lower pay, working with or shadowing someone more experienced

your best bet would be to try and get a job at a shop sweeping up, cleaning up tools, taking out garbage, etc
then when they need a hand here or there you can help them out until they realize you can work on cars by yourself and they hire someone else to do the bitch work

:withstupid: It's going to be tough due to age anyway. You have to remember that a great deal of people feel this current generation are a bunch of selfserving selfish assholes who don't know how to work. Not that it is necessarily without cause but you will need to prove that you are not only capable but willing to bust your ass.

shits weak. I just graduated auto collision and everyone wants
shop experience but no one will give me a chance to get some
lol its like trying to get that first loan when the bank wants you
to have credit but no one will give out any. Im from north dakota
and usually only had to fill out like 3 apps and get a job.

open your own shop... my cousin graduated Wyotech for auto body less than a year ago.. already has his own shop, working on a 1940 Ford right now

Back