1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for a job

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by whinybitch, Aug 25, 2011.

1. whinybitch

whinybitch .

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

Things are bad in the northwest. I was almost 2 years out of work, with only a handful of callbacks and no interviews.

3. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member VIP

Are you willing to move around?

4. 90 accord

90 accord Chicks dig the box Moderator VIP

Unfortunately, with the limited amount of jobs out there, companies are holding out for the more experienced people.

The company i work for releases internal job openings before publicly posting them, and only a couple of us out of about 30 people meet their bare minimum pre-requisites. The ones that don't meet the requirements, were lucky to have applied when we started getting busy around the beginning of the year... If I were to apply for my current job now (like when i did when i first got out of school 4 years ago) there is no way in hell they would hire me... Hell, even now I'm one of the few that meet their pre-req's...

Anyways, keep sticking with it, you're bound to come across something.. Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  5. Drake

Are you hitting the pavement like it is a job? 9 to 5 five days a week? Are you looking exclusively for a job in your field or are you opening it up?

6. Drake

When I worked for Safeway I worked nights stocking shelves. Went through quit a few people, not to many 19 year olds where willing to do absolute bitch work at o dark thirty but it got me by until I could find something that was a little more stable and better paying. Networking goes a long ways too, find some spots to volunteer maybe and just make yourself a general pain in the ass with places you want to work. Follow up on apps in person as well. Make sure you resume is tailored specificly for the job you are applying for. Keep it down to one page. HR departments are getting slammed with apps all the time. If they cant get a feel in one page they may end up passing it over.

7. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

If you're getting rejected due to experience, offer to work for a week for free, no strings.
    if they don't think you can do it, you carry on.
    if they think you can, they can hire you for the position.

and bust your ass that week.

you may get used, but it might get you a good job out of it too if you know your shit and work hard.

8. Cashizslick

Cashizslick !i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!

^ The way to do it is to go in person and talk to the people you'd be working with.

9. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

apprentice would be lower pay, working with or shadowing someone more experienced

your best bet would be to try and get a job at a shop sweeping up, cleaning up tools, taking out garbage, etc
    then when they need a hand here or there you can help them out until they realize you can work on cars by yourself and they hire someone else to do the bitch work

10. Drake

:withstupid: It's going to be tough due to age anyway. You have to remember that a great deal of people feel this current generation are a bunch of selfserving selfish assholes who don't know how to work. Not that it is necessarily without cause but you will need to prove that you are not only capable but willing to bust your ass.

11. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

olympia sucks for that type of work. you are going to need to commute to tacoma.

12. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

open your own shop... my cousin graduated Wyotech for auto body less than a year ago.. already has his own shop, working on a 1940 Ford right now

13. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

god damn i hope they don't hire based on spelling and grammar skills.

14. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

job > no job

congrats :thumbsup:

15. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

Congrats homie.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted