Looking for a new car.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nealo

It's time to go off to college and my dad doesn't trust my 10 year old hatch anymore (even though i do). He wants to get a new car or a newer one at least. Somewhere in the 16k range. I wanted a scion but im thinking that the powerless box is going to be a broken fad in a couple of years and ill be stuck with a box. So I'm in the process of looking for a new(er) car. Something that won't give me any trouble, has relatively good gas mileage, and won't struggle going up a hill. Any opinions on what to get would be helpful. Scion?..99+ 1.8t GTI, 98+ GSR, 99+ SI...

Edit..I'm not planning on dumping much money on this vehicle, maybe a little drop and some wheels but thats about it. I'll have other things to use my money for, school and a computer.

How many miles do you have on your Si? Mine's still going strong. I suppose that you could shop for a younger Si or GS-R. E's Insight is fun....

130k+ miles. If it was up to me, I wouldnt mind keeping the car (it's still a possibliity), but my dad is willing to get me a car and now is my chance.

From your list, I'd go for a younger GS-R coupe. Where's college going to be for you though?

if your in cali i would stay away from honda products. I vote the gti.

Originally posted by xyswany@May 8 2004, 08:52 PM
if your in cali i would stay away from honda products. I vote the gti.

What's the bad relationship between Cali and Honda products? And are VW's more reliable on the West Coast? lol. I suppose some sort of VW TDI would be interesting to have considering the high gas prices over there.

yeah im with her, get something good on gas. youre gonna be in college spending alot of money...why not save some where you can. civic hybrid, insight, prius....something.

If you want a great car to drive everyday to and from school/work get an Audi A4.

I want to see an Insight swap. That would be fun as hell: a boosted b16 in an Insight :ph34r:

[Brough back from the dead]

I finally decided that I wouldn't be very happy driving a Scion my entire stay in college and found a ride that I can be proud of. 2000 S10 on bags. (At least I think it is) S10
Any ideas, comments, flames about an s10 on bags. Just need a little info before jumping into something that I might regret. I have had no past experiences with airbags and therefore I don't know very much about them but I'm willing to learn.

well...a good choice would be an older car....

a real old car....

not to slap honda's, but there are few that will have the age to get past the 25 year emmisions limit......with no emmisions... you don't have to worry about trying to get your car to pass while your studying for finals....

with an old car, I would choose something that any engine will swap in.....like a good old Z, plenty of room for a decent fuel economy engine, to help save for the gas, so you can buy more food, or beer....or, you can swap in a monster engine, and dwell in the sleeper mode for a while....since most of the swappable motors from Japan has very low miles, once you swap in a decent JDM engine, you can have worry free relaibility while you try to pass the next class.

since it is a 2 seater, you will not get bothered by other students to take them to the movies or shit, and moving other students shit is out of the question....so you will have more time to study........instead of constantly help a fellow student move from dorm to dorm...or off campus...plus chicks dig 2 seaters...unless they have a sorority of hot chicks that want to go with you to the lake for a party...then I would go with a VW vanagon...err the shaggen waggon....but then you'll be stuck helping others move their shit around....and your classes will suffer...

Coed's love a hot car, and the Z is a hot car, unless you want to keep it in a camo sleeper mode, then multicolor primer spots will keep the subtle homely girlfriend that also has ambitionss to study well, but like to play a little....

plus, with the priorly mentioned sleeper mode....theives will pass your car to go rape a Honda of its sterio system...so you will still have your tunes all semester long while your transverse from the dorms to class...

just some points to think about.......

I had a 280ZX in college..and I never had a problem.....

an s10 on bags? lol

holy paying 3x as much money on gas for no good reason to get to school in everyday. and 4cly s10's fucking suck so bad. Sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

16k, call it 10k so you can actually have a life....

97 s14. pimp, repliable, project car for when you get out.

Back