Looking for a swap shop, Pls help...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JdmAlldaway

Im looking into getting a swap soon where is the affordable shop to go to do a complete swap. i just wanted a B16 2nd gen complete swap. i'm located in los angeles, ca... need help pls. thanks

just get a couple buddies and do it yourself. I had never done a swap alone before this one and actually just finished yesterday. Turned out fine. Just research , have a laptop with hondaswap.com on the screen and go for it.

You will save a lot of money and you will learn a lot about your car.

of course if your busy and need your car with little downtime, that's understandable too.

I agree....do it yourself (if you have the access and tools)

But a shop will charge anywhere from $300-1000 for a B-series swap (depending how they feel and the details of the swap)

Probably at least $500 for a B16 installed in a non-VTEC hatch (which I'm guessing yours is)

Whole Swap will cost your (roughly) $2000 (for Gen2 w/hydraulic) + install (or DIY)

You're in So-Cal....shops are all over the place there.....

GO LOOK!!!

just for information. here's a list of tools I used.

*socket set (deep wells, regular, 1/4 inch, 3/8, 1/2 drive)
*set of open end wrenches
*screwdrivers
*big ass breaker bar
*wire cutters/stripper
*wires/ various connectors
*2 - 3 floor jacks (ones that can go higher than 13 inches)
*jack stands
*ball join breaker
*impact driver (screwdriver you hit)

Sounds like a lot but it's stuff you'll use time and time again.

oh yea, don't forget the 32 mm socket for axle nut

Dude you can do it with just a set of wrenches, sockets, ratchets, ball joint separator, jack and 2 stands, breaker bar, and then prep the engine for removal then when it's ready go to Autozone and rent a hoist for $20, pull out the old put in the new bring it back and finish up.

The whole thing can be said and done in one day if you can read and turn a wrench. With 2 buddies I can swap out a d-series for another d-series in like 4 hours tops but a b-series is pretty much the same after you switch mounts and shift linkage.

Also, don't plan on just dropping in a b16. These engines even from hmotorsonline with a start up guarantee they've still been sitting around for some time so you'll want to replace parts like the water pump, all belts including timing, dizzy, plugs and wires, etc. it'll save you lots of frustration down the line. When I received my d15b vtec engine it came with a couple cracked injectors I had to grab them from the d15b7, just make sure you look it over and be ready to spend some extra cash.

*raise front end set it on jacks
*drain all fluids
*disconnect negative cable from bat
*disconnect all wiring connectors, coolant lines, grounds, etc. from engine and transmission
*remove throttle cable and set it aside
*relieve fuel pressure at gas cap and banjo bolt under hood, and disconnect all fuel lines
*unbolt exhaust system from header-back
*remove power steering pump (DO NOT d/c the lines) and set it on the frame to the side
*remove a/c compressor (oil WILL leak)
*unbolt clutch slave cylinder (or release cylinder) from tranny and set it aside
*remove wheels
*separate ball joints connecting LCA's to steering knuckles
*swing the wheels off the axel ends and pull axels out from transmission
*disconnect shift linkages (8mm punch to remove bitch pin)
*attach hoist chains to secure locations that will safely lift the engine and take up some slack
*unbolt all engine and tranny mounts with the assembly secured to the hoist and pull

You'll have to twist the assembly around to make it come out easily. It also would help to remove the hood, and it would definitely help to remove the radiator and ac condensor. I don't know what to do with the a/c I got lazy it was a project car so I just took it all out.

That's basically IT I'm pretty sure I didn't leave anything out but if I did, oh well you should research anyway.

Back