Looking for a truck

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

StealthMode

Kung Foolin'
Welp, the time has come.... :( . I am looking for either a Toyota Tacoma or Nissan truck to replace my hatchie. It should be around a 93 to 95, preferably with not a RIDICULOUS amount of miles, but about 150k would be fine, as long as it was well taken care of. I'd prefer an extended cab, but would greatly consider otherwise. I'm looking for a truck that's not small like the smaller Nissan's or Tacoma "Prerunner's" I want it to be a little raised like they are when stock, but I don't want a lifted truck.

My EG hatch is red, great body (no rust), black certifit bumpers, full lip kit (but for now I have just the front and sides on), GSR fat fives. The car is in great condition, I was going the SOHC route: d16z6 head swap, JDM d15 intake manifold, Skunk2 cam gear, no name coilovers, short ram intake, exhaust, and some other things replaced with stock parts like dizzy, etc. I also have a Garrett t3 (.48 A/R) turbo (GREAT condition and in running order, since it came off a running car) and a downpipe that I can throw in.

I will consider a trade as that would save more time and effort to sell it and then buy the truck. I'm looking for anyone within a reasonable distance from Denver, Colorado. I just have too little time and money to keep investing in my car. Also the added attention from the cops is very unwelcome, despite all the extra care I take when out on the road. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! :worthy:

Look to a Nissan Hardbody over the Tacoma. When I was searching for a compact pickup in the same age range as you are- I looked through all the specs, drove a few, then realized that the Nissan is the only one that actually has any power. With the manual, you can actually tow 3500 pounds on the KA24E and 5000 with the VG30E. You can't get more than one ton of towing with the others.

I bought a 95 Hardbody XE standard cab for $3000 with a few minor electrical problems- expect to pay about that much to $3500-4000 for a Hardbody in good shape.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Calesta@Jan 7 2005, 08:34 AM
With the manual, you can actually tow 3500 pounds on the KA24E and 5000 with the VG30E. You can't get more than one ton of towing with the others.
[post=442474]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for the input. :) Are those engines 4 or 6 cylinder? I'm thinking they are V6, but I don't know for sure. How are they on gas also?

The KA24E is the 2.4L 4 cylinder (what I have) and the VG30E is the 3.0L 6 cylinder. Both are great engines and last forever. The gas mileage isn't stellar- it's rated at 23/27 for the 4 banger- but it's decent. I get about 20mpg in the city with really hard driving and the AC on all the time. On the highway I can manage 24mpg if I keep my foot out of it. I don't know what the 3.0 economy figures, but they're only 2-3 worse than the 4.

Just a tip- compared to other small trucks in this price bracket, the Nissan 4 cylinder setup is actually just as powerful as all the competitors' V6 engine setups. That was one of the criteria I based my purchase on.

I agree with the nissan as well. I had a pathfinder awhile back, best suv I ever had. A nissan truck would be a great buy! My pathfinder had a 3.0v6 in it, I usually got around 17mpg with it, it was old when I had it tho.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Jan 8 2005, 06:33 PM
why not look a the dodge dakota?
[post=443128]Quoted post[/post]​

So far, I've heard many, many great things about the Tacomas and Nissans, so that is mainly what I'm in the market for. My dad has a smaller Nissan, and it's a great little truck, but I want better than that and a little bigger.

Originally posted by Callidus+Jan 8 2005, 05:32 PM-->
great thanks for all your help. this will really help me out with my looking. i hope i can get it soon :D
[post=443126]Quoted post[/post]​

:thumbsup:

Callidus
@Jan 8 2005, 06:39 PM
So far, I've heard many, many great things about the Tacomas and Nissans, so that is mainly what I'm in the market for. My dad has a smaller Nissan, and it's a great little truck, but I want better than that and a little bigger.
[post=443149]Quoted post[/post]​

If you want bigger than the Nissan Hardbody, you're going to have to go to a newer Tacoma or Frontier. Nissan only made one size of pickup at a time up until the Titan came out.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jan 9 2005, 03:48 AM
If you want bigger than the Nissan Hardbody, you're going to have to go to a newer Tacoma or Frontier. Nissan only made one size of pickup at a time up until the Titan came out.
[post=443275]Quoted post[/post]​

No, the Hardbody's are perfect. I just want one with the bigger suspension, not a little pipsqueak truck like my dad's. Someone at my school has one, and I want to steal it. :p Now, the thing is either trading my car or selling it. But that may have to wait until I get back from Sweden. I'll be studying abroad from March through the end of May.

Ah, ok. You want the 4x4 Hardbody then. Get one with the VG30 engine. You won't get very good gas mileage, but you'll have the bigger engine and the beefier suspension.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Jan 8 2005, 06:33 PM
why not look a the dodge dakota?
[post=443128]Quoted post[/post]​

Dakotas are really nice. they are pretty small, and with the 4.7 liter, they will tear shit up. Locker rear diff, and full posi front diff comes stock, and they also get decent gas mileage for an 8 cyl.

I HAVE A 90 PATHFINDER WITH THE V6 AND IT IS BLACK 4X4 HASS SOME MILES BUT I JUST WENT THRU THE MOTER AND IT RUNS GOOD LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN TRADING THANKS CHAD

pm sent to twistedimage. dakota's dont really get the kind of gas mileage i'm looking for. although i won't really be putting the extra money into aftermarket parts and the like, as with my honda, I would still like to save the extra money.

Back