Looking for info on Metallurgy..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90 accord

Chicks dig the box
VIP
Basically, it's a subject I've always been curious about but I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to start with it. I've been looking for some kind of introduction book, but they all seem to be originally printed in 1950 or earlier.. Does this mean that the principles haven't changed in 60 years?

what are you looking for... metallurgy is a pretty wide term

if you are looking for properties check out this book
c289_pocket_ref_4th_ed.jpg

it will tell you more than you could ever want to know about more than youve ever cared to think about
it is an amazing reference book and it can be found all over for about $10

Eventually, I want to learn about failure analysis... I'm sure thats pretty far in depth and uses a bunch of equipment that i probably wont ever have access too, but gives a basis for where i want to end up.

I build PT6 series turbine engines, and i want to have a better base of knowledge for what happens with failed parts. Basically what got me started on learning more was something that had happened at work the other day. My company produces quite a lot of PMA parts and they have recently recruited me in helping with the failure analysis of a sun gear/planet gear set that has significant damage including micro-pitting and spalling. The set had 600 hours since new. TBO is 3600 hours, with most sets passing inspection at 3600 hours.

Edit for not proof reading before i posted, lol. i speaky da engrish

Last edited:
That

Sounds

Fucking

Awesome

Stick with it.

no doubt!

they had a professional metallurgical exam company analyze it.. man, i couldnt understand half of it, lol. too many big words. learning enough to not only understand how the metals react to certain conditions/etc is what interests me.

Back