Looking into starting a local forum.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fionntan

Banned
I am curious if anyone can give me a little guidance on starting a forum. I have started doing some research on my own, but I thought some of you might be able to recommend some software, or fill me in on the problems that I might run into. What is the best place to start (after coming up with an idea for the content of course)?

I am doing this mainly for the experience. I have been working on various IT certs. and this would give me the opportunity to learn another aspect of today's technology. The more I know the better I will be.

Thanks in advance for any help.

why not learn something useful?

if you are into forums sharepoint is a great way to get started ...

why not learn something useful?

if you are into forums sharepoint is a great way to get started ...

I will have to look into sharepoint. At first glance it seems like the kind of thing that would actually look good on a resume.

The forum idea is something that my fiance and I were talking about. We came up with a good niche for the city we live in and no one else here is hosting a forum like the one I want to create. It just seems like a good idea to me.

its not a bad idea. basic forums work well. but the hard coding that goes into something like hondaswap, is probably over most folks heads.

sharepoint is huge right now. MS wait times for sharepoint assistance is almost 3 days. they could use some backup :)

Sharepoint blows for stuff like this.
requires MS hosting which is 4x as expensive as linux on a shared server and IIS is a PITA for working with rewrite engines.

HS doesn't honestly have a ton of custom stuff in it. The core is basic off the shelf software, vbulletin, modded with vbseo, tweaked with a custom skin/grafx, and a couple other enhancments from the mod community.

What languages do you use primarily and are you constantly writing and rewriting?

i suggested sharepoint because it is not tough to use and learn/implement and is in high demand right now. not because it is a forum. resume builder, forums are really not.

True, but going from n00b to share point developer = likely failure. It's not something you just 101 yourself on IMO. Hell, I still don't know how to use hlf of what it can do.

As a forum its useless though.
As a resume builder, it's a big plus. yes, i will agree with that.

Most of the 'free' internet runs on php/mysql/apache/linux. (LAMP) Forums are a downloadable next-next-next set up and requires little to no programming knowledge at all other than to enter in some connection strings in a php file. And there's how-tos for that.

Huge resume builder right now. I'm getting my hands in a bit of it for simple crap and I can't wait to write it on my resume/linked in profile.

CRM and Sharepointe are the new up and coming things to know.

I certainly dont plan to become a sharepoint developer, or programmer of any sort for that matter. I am focusing on network administration. I am just curious about what else is out there and I would like to learn how to code just for the expansion of knowledge factor.

Thats the plan. Right now I am working on my ccna. B how much do you spend a month to run hondaswap...if you are comfortable discussing it.

A lot. But a site starting out doesn't need the hardware I have. you can get away with a $7 a month plan some where.

wikedeye, I run my little forum on a $7 plan.....no coding at all with vbulletin for the most part.

I would imagine a site like this is around at least $4-500 a month on a dedicated server....

SharePoint is big right now, it'll continue to be big until microsoft dies OR someone figures out that it's not what they really want. At this rate, that'll be at least 10 years.

If you're looking at near-term jobs, sharepoint is good, and gives you a foothold. Go from sharepoint to something else quickly and you'll be very valuable.

Back