1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to go SOHC - Need input

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA' started by Chaos325, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Chaos325

Chaos325 Member

Hi all, not knew to the scene but this DOHC guy is looking to go SOHC. [​IMG] I'm just about finish with my integra and I'm looking to do a civic next for my stable. Looking to start in May so I want to get a leg up ahead of time.

I'm almost sure on a EF sedan, and was looking on input regardind the difficulty of swapping a z6 into it. Has this been done by anyone here who can give some first-hand pointers? Straight all-motor build with a possible 50-shot for fun and extra power on the dl :ph34r: .

2. kyleirwin

kyleirwin Retired OG

swap is a cakewalk, bolts in, stock mounts. best bet would be to convert to obd1 and run a p28 for engine managment.

3. Chaos325

Chaos325 Member

Never did a conversion like that. What involved? Grabbing a ODB 1 harness hookup it up to a odb1 ecu (p28) and wiring up the VTEC? Its a gonna be straight stock minus the pistons and the Zex kit. A z6 is obd 1 right, that is I knew it [​IMG]

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

You can get conversion harnesses that make the MPFI conversion (if you need it) and the OBD conversion a plug and play affair.

On the build, I would recommend something like this:

P29 or PM7 pistons (ceramic coated if you can), will get you to 12.0:1 or higher
    B18A/B rods
    Crower Stage 3 camshaft
    Port/polish
    Balance

Tune tune tune!

If you have more cash, go with lightweight forged CP pistons and some light forged Probe rods. You can make a SOHC D16 really scream if you build it right.

If you go with a 90-91 EX sedan, you'll already be wired for MPFI and have a D16A6 block ready to build up. Convert it to VTEC with a Z6 head and you'll actually have the strongest block for building a D. The A6 is the best/strongest SOHC D series block available.

5. Chaos325

Chaos325 Member

I was gonna choose a donor that was already MPFI because I've heard the horror stories that is it wiring. P29 pistons is what I was gonna use since I have a few sets here (I'm a d16a1 guy). Until I get the cash for a crower cam, which cams is best to use z6;y8;or zc? I've heard the sohc zc has the most factory aggressive cam out there. I guess using the a6 block will make it easier since the z6 is hard to find and expensive around here. A mini-me might be a bit more brag worthy.

6. phunky.buddha

Starting with MPFI would be better, but there are so many DPFI -> MPFI wiring guides out there that actually work that it's not that hard to convert if you're good at following directions.

Good deal on the P29 pistons.

You can't swap the Z6/Y8 cam with the SOHC ZC. The ZC cam will only work in the non VTEC head, and the VTEC cams won't work in a non VTEC head. The SOHC ZC cam is the most aggressive OEM non VTEC cam, so if you have one laying around- use it. If you have to pay any decent amount of cash for it, just wait until you can perform the head conversion. If you have to wait too long, get a custom grind for the non VTEC setup.

A6 block = :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

I've never heard of Tuner Toys rods- but if they work well, go for it. Using LS rods is mostly just a hack if you're able to score machine shop work for cheap, but there are tons of other good rod alternatives out there for the D.

7. Chaos325

Chaos325 Member

Thanks guys for the feedback. Sounds like a good project so will get started on getting my hands on a clean ef sedan first. I guess I'm switching to sohc!

8. phunky.buddha

Cool. Thanks for the link!

9. Chaos325

Chaos325 Member

They have been out of stock on the d series rods not to mention a couple other products. Site is up and down.

10. phunky.buddha

11. CoreyR

CoreyR Senior Member

if your a d16a1 guy then you should have some d16a1 rods laying aroudn right? those are the strongest D series rods. its been said that they handle 300WHP. so P29 pistons and pg6 rods and your all set.

12. Chaos325

Chaos325 Member

Yeah, thats what I was going to do. I have a set of PM7 (same as P29) and rods. Its gonna give me a 12.1:1 ratio. I figure 127hp stock Z6 and with thePM7s and tuning hopefully 160hp with spray if needed.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted