Looking to upgrade this POS DELL

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CiViC_SOHC

Hey im playing WoW alot now and it LAGS HORRIBLY!!! I am already going to get 512MB of RAM should I upgrade to a faster video card also? If so which one, I need something afforable but will do the job. Thanks in advance nerds. j/k :p

I believe its the Dimension Desktop 3000..Pent 4 2.80 GHz
2.79GHz, 256 MB RAM Thats bout it...
Anybody disagree with his suggestion? I have the money but damn thats expensive lol!

No it's not.

I spent 350 on my card about 3 weeks ago, and it's not even top of the line.

throw it out. buy a new machine.

for bare min gaming system, i'd recommend 1gb pc 3200 ddr ram, 256mb video card, 8x agp., 400 mhz fsb, 1mb l2 chache
no celeron processors either...

AGP is out, B. For any rig you intend to play games on you need PCI-Express, if for nothing else than the upgrade ceiling. AGP is phasing out.

Ah. Yeah, it will run em. You're SOL on upgrading though which is why I advised against it.

Yeah, im still running AGP, but i have had no problems with any game so far. My board is a few years old now, but my 9800 Pro is still keeping me in the "good" zone. If i can play CS:S and Urban Terror (Quake 3 Mod) im really fine. WoW doesnt slow my computer down at all...so i wouldnt worry too much about an AGP card.

Well I would throw the dell away but it was a gift from my step-mom and dad. PLUS im trying to get my car turbo'ed I want my car done before I start blowing big bucks on a new computer...I will look into getting that card though thanks.....Another question...Should I even bother with upgrading the RAM will I notice that much of a difference?

Just thinking...could I just upgrade the RAM? Would that make it fast enough???

with that chip, ur graphics hard will bog u down more than anything.

as battle pope said, get a 6600gt, wiether u have agp8x or pci-e. if you look around they can be had for around 120-150 after rebates. its a pretty solid gaming card and can run any game out their with enough eye-candy.

if you spend more than 200 bucks, i really recommend holding out for a new set up because you'll be throwing money at a dead technology if you have agp. get CPU-Z and under main board itll tell you.

turns out if you have pci-e, i say hold out and save for a 7800gt. they should be coming down in price ($300 right now) as nvidia are getting ready to release the 7900s and ati will be making new cards also based on GDDR4 instead of 3.

again if u dont game hardcore and dont plan on playing nething recent like Battlefiend 2 or F.E.A.R, a 6600gt is fine. itll run those games too at medium to high quality with no AA. AA is very taxing on nvidia cards.

Quoted post[/post]]
how much do you have now?
I only got 256 now...I just want something that isn't gonna cost me alot and 200 is alot to me right now...my job is cutting my hours becuase we are dead...plus im trying to use all my money towards getting my car turbo'ed but I have 2 weeks of vacation and I want to play some WoW lol. That's why im wondering if I can just get RAM cuase it cheaper then buying a new graphics card.
*EDIT* Found the site for my Dell...I have the highest Pent 4 one there...and only the 256 RAM...My Dell

get a 6600gt for around 120 after rebate at newegg.

and holy shit. i took a look at ur manual of the dimension 3000 and there are only PCI slots!!!

im not sure but definately get cpu-z to look at the board and open the box. look at it. agps have two grooves on the slot. 1 medium and 1 large. pci-express is one small one and one very large one.

here are the two cards.
pci-express:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130214
agp:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...MP=OTC-d3alt1me

Cool thanks I might start with RAM...You know what my internet is fuckin slow ever since I moved to my Step-Moms house...Could be internet...I hope its not cuase there isn't much you can do about that...We have a router upstairs and then I plug the connection from upstairs into a router in my room to power my computer and ps2's

Back