Loose Lug Nuts.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mikeislord

I couldn't believe this but maybe it has happened to some of you out there. I was driving and steering felt a little off and just something didnt seem right. When I got home, the lug nuts on the front left wheel were so loose i could finger tighten them. I figured I just fucked up after the swap, and retightened it up. About 3 weeks later now, same thing happened on my front right side, one of those lugs were loose as hell. Completely stumped, I did some google searching and read a few articles. One said that because the lugs are chrome, that material is a bit slippery on other metals and I should scuff up the back so it grips better. Another site said I should use a thread sealer to help hold those bad boys on. Maybe these aftermarket lug nuts I bought from Pep Boys are crap, I hate that dump anyway. Anyone else have this problem before?

There are different shapes of lugs. Some have a "acorn" like bevel, others are flat. I had the same problem with my Toyota.

take a pic of your wheel with the lugs. chances are you have the wrong kind on the wheel.

ive had gorilla lugs for almost 3 years. they are STILL mint and have a "chrome" finish on them.

are you torqueing to spec? i doubt it cause no one ever does

i had this problem a couple times...

the above posters are prob correct when they say that you may have the wrong lugs for your rims, or perhaps you need to loctite them or something?

do you have any front end vibration that would help them vibrate loose?

Correct lug, removeable(blue) loctite, torque to spec.

Aluminum rims are supposed to be retorqued after a week or so. I think about 100 miles.

Quoted post[/post]]
Correct lug, removeable(blue) loctite, torque to spec.

Aluminum rims are supposed to be retorqued after a week or so. I think about 100 miles.

Jesus, I guess that tire iron is gonna just be in my passenger seat permanently. I drive about 40-50 a day normally.

get the rignt lugnuts for the rims you have
torque them on
drive for 50 - 100 miles
retorque them

you shouldnt have any issues after that

but if you are not running the right shape lugnuts they will never stay tight

Metal experiences creep, basicly stretching when load is applied for long periods of time. If you over tighten your lug nuts, you can make it so there is enough pressure on the lugs that after a while, the threads will stretch and make it so the lugs are no longer applying a force on the wheel, and then they start to loosen up. Switch to new lugs and tighten them to spec.

dude it is not the type of lug nut or finish thats causing you this problem, double check that you are using the right tread pattern on the lug maybe the dumb ass at pepboys gave the incorrect one, even thoug it is not the right tread pattern it could still get tight just for little but you will end fucking up your studs

Back