Loose Steering/Wheels - Help Plz?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tbiletski

I just bought a 92 Prelude a few weeks ago, and out of nowhere yesterday, the wheels just taking a mind of their own. The car is perfectly aligned (steering wheel kept center, the car still drives straight) but, there is a pulling feeling to the right side slightly. Now there is also more give with the wheel before the tires turn... I wouldnt say a ton of give, but niticably a lot less responsive. The tires, as well, when 70+ km/h seem to wander. Im confused, as Im not the most knowledgable car person. Im trying to get into it (just installed exhaust and cold air intake myself), and Im just about to take it to the garage. Ide just love to know what it was and how I could physically tell whats wrong before I go in, or if I dont have to go in at all and could just take care of it myself.

The tires are in great shape (few months new - 90% tread) and the tire pressure is at 35psi (the called for amoutn.)

I dont want to go into the shop and have them charge me up the ass for things I dont actually need.

Any help would be great. I saw an older post for a slightly similar issue... and there was mention of tire rod ends and ball joints. Can I physically see this, and are these things hard to get to? If I can pop off the tires and raise the car up and see them, I dont want to go much further - my father is gone for the week and hes the more car-tech person.

Any help would be much appreciated, really. Im not liking doing highway driving at 100 that much right now, and I only want to finnish the week liek this and get it fixed this weekend. Just let me know some things I can check myself for physical damage. Thanks. :confused:

sorry, just wanted to make sure someone who could help would see one or the other. ill try not do that again. people seem to be irght ontop of stuff quick on this site.

The steering wheel being in the center has very little to do with actual wheel alignment. The symptom you describe of wandering and non responsive steering almost sounds like too much toe-out. I would take it for an alignment, most reputable shops will tell you if the ball joints and tie rod ends need replaced before they can do the alignment. -

Back