loosing tranny fluid

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16

Super Moderator
VIP
ok, so i changed my clutch and flywheel this weekend. everything went well. however, when driving the car today, i noticed it started smoking, i figured it was just burning off tranny fluid when i put it in (made quite a mess). but it kept smoking, so i pulled over and noticed i was dripping tranny fluid. so i go back home and check the level, and it was low. so i added a qt of mtf and tightend down the fill and drain plugs some more and drove it around (still made quite a mess). so it looks like its dripping out where the shift linkage goes into the tranny. but i dont know what could have broke in there to make it leak from there. could it be coming out of the axles? i didn't replace the set rings, those are just to keep the axles in place right? or do they do something to seal inside the diff? i dont think its from the oil mess i made in the engine bay, however anything is possible i guess. anyone else have any ideas?
thanks

it could be coming from the axle input area but chances are your axle is pushed all the way in.

Milan

yes, its pushed all the way in. i think it is the oil seal in there, where the diff is. looks like i can get new ones for like $2 and pry the old ones back out... better get it all cleaned up by next weekend, supposed to go to the road course.

Just wondering did you put in Tranny fluid or oil?

Honda manual trans take 10w30 oil unless you use the higher priced Honda Manual Trans Fluid

yep, was the oil seals where the axle goes into the diff, it was all chewed up. replaced it today and she's all good, thank god, thunder hill is this weekend :)

you're not going to hold up the whole line again, are you? :D

Back