losing power?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Secret Place

The other day i was driving in the pouring rain, and while i was in 3rd gear i noticed that as i was holding the gas pedal down the car was jerking as if it was trying to catch. Then right after i smelled nothing burning. After a few days of not driving it, i Drove it around the block a couple of times. A few times it drove normal then a few times it would lag then id smell burning. Then it wouldnt let me go past 3000rpm then it drove normally. I have no idea what the problem is. can someone HELP!

Well what year is your car? a wet dizzy or a wet dizzy could cause this along with a few sensors in your intake that are un happy.... any air intake mods or any of the sort?

where would the dizzy be located?
sorry im new to this.
is a dizzy the distributor?

yes, distributor. it's the black thing on top where the spark plug wires plug in to on the passenger side.

What kind of smell is it? clutch? brakes? fire?

I say a burning wire smell could be the dizzy arching / grounding out due to something go overly wet, as posted above normaly on your left looking at motor on top, if u look at my engine it has the ducktape and such on it as i was puttigg a new cap on mine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    810 KB · Views: 313
more of a firey smell and ok thank you.
What can I do to prevent this.

Last edited:
Well odds are if the dizzy got wet you could try removing the plastic cover, normaly held on with 3 bolts a #8 socket should take them off and look to see if there is any water corotion ect. I would go to a local scrap yard and see about a used one and try swapping them out, but this requires a timing light or if your old scool with points and such then you can install with out one.... How mechanical savvy are u?

i took the dizzy cover out and replaced the ignition coil, dizzy cover and rotor because they were all corroded. there was water in their. i test drove the car yet it still happened . the car didnt let me go past 3000 rpm in every gear

wrong dizzy or parts, you need the corect parts kinda like a d15b7 will work on a d16z6 just willnt rev passed 3k

so? you are saying that i may have the wrong distributor for my b18b1?
The car has ran just fine before, and randomly started having that problem.
I also read that clogged fuel injectors can cause this problem.
Question: My CEL is thowing the crank sensor code. but it has had that code for a while now. Can this also be a factor?

thing is i dont know if the harness in the car is still from the civic or not. because i found the a plug that fits on to the crank sensor but that plug is in the front of the car,rather than being close to the timing belt

Alright so i just did the (ckf)- crank fluctuation sensor bypass trick and turned off my check engine light, so it worked, yet my car still has the same bog problem sometimes when you give the car gas.

New fuel filter won't hurt and are cheap but I'm not too confident that is the issue.

The burning smell seems to be the area to focus. The fact the dizzy was corroded, bad weather and burning smell, I would've changed out the whole dizzy. I also would've tried to inspect wires off dizzy and gone through trouble shooting (per manual) for continuity and such (as someone moved/bent wires).

Seems logical that it's electrical although I could be wrong. But electrical burn smell is definitely different than wood burn smell (I'm guessing that's what you meant by "firey")

If you take intake tube off and open throttle body, is the intake manifold looking pretty gunked up? Very doubtful that's your issue though. I'm doubtful your injectors are the problem too. But you could find someone to check and clean them for a fair price.

It's an EK chassis so it will have an EK harness (or an EM1 Si) because it is a one piece harness and B-series are two piece. Although it may not be the one it came with....or the slight chance it's just all hacked up. Wire came loose from a bad job mating (and/or extending) any possible electrical plugs?

I'm still set on the dizzy is the issue or maybe just maybe a bad ground wire melting a few others maybe inside the cabin near the ecu?

last night i was with my mechanic and came to a conclusion that the smell was the cause of my brakes locking.
but we have yet to find the cause of the bogging problem. it was a nice and cool night and my car ran great. Sadly we couldnt find the cause of the problem yet because if that.

Update: These are the parts I recently changed.
Distributor,Spark Plugs, Fuel Filter, TPS -Throttle Position Sensor, Calipers, and Break Hoses.
The burning smell turned out to be one of my calipers locking.
In conclusion, the car still has the bogging problem and don't know what it is.
Any more suggestions?

Back