loss of power (very detailed description)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

teler86

PART 1
two thursdays ago, i finished installing my turbo kit on my obd-1, b16 crx. I had a friend make me a basemap on chrome for it, and i was running a 3" downpipe w/no exhaust because mine was too small. I drove it that way for a week my narrowband said it was always crazy rich when i was in boost so i was not worried about too worried about driving it for a bit before i got her tunned.

Part 2
Last thursday i had taken my car to a custom exhaust shop that is approximatly 30 miles away, to get a custom 3" complete exhuast made, the car was still running perfect at that time. On the way back from the exhaust shop, the car boosted well two times and then started feeling like shit. The car has done this before on long trips, it seems to loose power all of the sudden and feel like an HF. However i had previously corrected the issue, so i thought by replacing the distributor. The car had felt like shit the whole rest of the way home, the turbo would spool to 8psi where i have my spring set, but it would feel like a natually aspirated sohc, also the turbo started making an akward howling sound. Once i got home i called the person that was going to tune my car, we met up with him and discovered that i had incorrectly put together my vacum lines, i had put my turbo and wastegate inline with the vacum from the intake manifold, however they are supposed to be seperate. That is when i had heard my blow off valve for the first time, what i had thought to have been my bov before had actually just been my wastegate. This is when i also noticed that there was a slight amount of white smoke comming out of my tailpipe, it was a small amount, did not apeare to be a headgasket. When i got home from i waited for the car to cool off and then checked to see if the turbo had any play to it, which it did not, and i pulled of the intake charge piping to see if there was oil in it which there was not. I then took the car for a test drive and it drove fine like it did originally when i put the turbo on.

Part 3
Sunday is the next time I had time play with my car, i tightened all of my intake piping clamps, and put zip ties on my vaccume lines. then test drove the car and it drove like shit again, the turbo would spool but the car still felt like it was N/A. However my narrowband no longer showed that my car was runing rich when i was in boost, contrary it said that i was running lean, so i only drove it around the block and put it back into the garage.

Thank you for bearing with me and this huge discription i just wanted for it to be as detailed as possible if anybody has any idea of what my issue(s) could be please, please post it on here

Thank you,
Roman

Mistake #1- using a narrow band for anything other than a light show.

pull the head. sounds like you melted something (piston/valve).

definitely want to run compression. also weld a new bung in there for a wideband. let the narrow band go to the ecu and the wideband run to the gauge. itll give you a better idea of where you are at.

i ran a compression test and came up with 240-235-240-245, i also took it to the guy who is going to tune it for me, turns out my plugs were not gapped correctly, but the biggest problem i think is that my battery had a bad ground, it is relocated in the back, and i had a bolt grounding it, the one that goes to the spare wheel lock down. The bolt was too rusty, put a new bolt on and the car runs great. We are going to tune it with a wideband on thursday, but he said it is a really good tune right now, there is a little bit of hesitaion in 3rd, he thinks it is because it is too rich, but that is all.

Back