loss of torque, any ideas?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sir2

Hi all,

i'm a total newbie who's just imported a 1995 EG6 SirII to the UK

my problem is, i had the timing belt changed recently and since then its lost all power. there's patches from 3000rpm to 5500rpm where there's no power at all. just a low muffled struggle to get out of that range.

i used to be able to drive uphill in 4th gear still with some power to spare. but now i have to drop into 2nd gear especially if the hill is steep. it used to pull hard and now it feels like a 1.3 corolla....

i went back to the guy who changed it and he started adjust the idle screw on the throttle body (dunno why, it idled fine before) and realising that wasn't working he then said "it must be the map sensor". he unplugged it and I drove around for a few miles. it did seem to pull better, so thinking that was the problem i bought a new sensor and fitted it. it was fine for the first 15 miles then the problem came back.

since then i've changed:
dizzy cap + rotor
Ht Leads + Plugs
oil and filter change

i've even taken it into Honda and have them inspect the car only for them to say "the valve timing is correct and the sensor check came out fine. sorry, we know it should be faster than this but we really don't know what's slowing it down because we can't find a fault" that was like a kick in the nuts. even THEY have no idea...

driving sensibly it's ok, but as soon as i go into the VTEC the car goes muffled in sound and it slows the car up for the rest of the day. also, it doesn't like going uphill either, that slows it down completely forcing me to shift down a gear.

a friend of mine said try changing the o2 sensor next, seeing as i've eliminated the major factors already and just because the check came out "ok" doesn't mean it's reading correctly... does anyone know the part number or a good make of an O2 sensor for my car? i think its for OBD-1 right?

i've been scratching my head for weeks now (then again i would being a newbie) and even Honda UK shrugging their shoulders. has anyone got any ideas on what's slowing my car down? i'm about getting desperate now.

thanks guys

p.s. honda set my idle screw on the throttle body to "the best they could" considering i have an induction kit/jamsa downpipe/sports-exhaust+de-cat) but everytime i accelerate, there's this whistling noise. and its always when i accelerate, does anyone know what that is?

that makes sense, but i never had that noise before the throttle screw was played around with.

i say whistling, its more like a squeeking really. you know, like that of a fan-belt kinda squeek, but not as loud of course. i can change the tone with the accelerator pedal, thats what i find weird.

does it feel like it pulls better at part throttle than it does at full throttle? If the answer is no, i would tend to agree with the o2 sensor.

dunno what the UK shipping regs are, but when i need new o2 sensors i go here:
Honda Civic Oxygen Sensor - Free Shipping

Back