lost the house

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

What am I thinking, it doesn't even get cold where you live :p

it does. plenty of days in the 0-10 range in january. most the time in the 20's and 30's though through winter

i'm 100% out.

i asked for my deposit back.

new potential:

g446240a.jpg

built in 2002
split-level house
2 1/2 bay garage
Total Fin. SqFt:2,080 SqftSqFt Source:TOWNRooms:6Bdrms:3Baths:21/2 Baths:1
  • Master bedroom
  • Living room
  • Family room
  • Kitchen
  • Basement
  • Laundry room
  • Fireplace(s)
  • Fireplace features: Living room fireplace
  • Heating features: Multizone, Oil, Warm air
  • Interior features: Ceiling fan(s), Dishwasher, Disposal, Exhaust fan/hood, Fire/smoke alarm(s), French door(s), Range and oven, Refrigerator, Wall or window air conditioner(s), Pull-down attic access, Full walk-out basement, Partially finished basement, Family room on lower level, Carpet, Vinyl flooring, Breakfast bar, Eat-in kitchen, Laundry on lower level, Master bathroom, Walk-in closet(s) in master bedroom
  • Exterior features: Underground parking, TV cable available, Upper level deck, Paved driveway, Level lot, Lightly treed/wooded lot, Public connected sewer service, Public connected water supply
  • Exterior construction: Vinyl siding
  • Approximate lot is 100X197
  • Approximately 0.85 acre(s)
asking price of 300k, but they are under foreclosure (my agent is their agent too, so she knows the drill) so i'm going to try to nab it for 280k and a quick sale.

no central air and oil heat though :( wish it had propane heat and central air :(

and, it shares the driveway with the house next door.... which is kinda weird.
and they are landscapers or something... theres all kinds of work trucks everywhere.

pluses = they will probably plow the driveway in the winter for free, as its half theirs any way, and maybe i'll get a deal on them mowing the lawn :D
minues = they might be asshats who i can't stand and i'm stuck having 90% of the same driveway as them

have a 4th showing for this chick coming with her dad for final approval and expecting an offer from her as well tomorrow on the condo.
with one offer in, and this one in, all may work out in the end.

It seems like you are just rushing into getting a house. Not really sure why or whatever the case is, but if your putting down 300k for a house, I would hope you would do a little looking around and actually get what you want. Point being, you said you wish it had propane heat (not sure why you wouldn't want oil, its cheaper...?) and central air (at least 8-10g's to put in afterwards, plus ductwork through your closets).

Why don't you just take your time? Or better yet just stay at your condo and save up a little bit more money. You live by yourself and you should have plenty of space because of this - why move into a new house where your monthly expenses (not to mention the need for a roomate) are goign to increase signifcantly?

Why don't you just take your time? Or better yet just stay at your condo and save up a little bit more money. You live by yourself and you should have plenty of space because of this - why move into a new house where your monthly expenses (not to mention the need for a roomate) are goign to increase signifcantly?

Yeah thats true. Although you can afford a house, you dont NEED it.

Just like me . . i can afford my 240, but i dont NEED it. You may as well bide your time for now and save some more money. I know you want a house but its not a necessity at this point.

If his condo sells, it's a necessity.

But I have to still have to put my 2 cents in: Getting a house that large and expensive is cool, but having a load of cash in your accounts is WAY cooler.

It seems like you are just rushing into getting a house. Not really sure why or whatever the case is, but if your putting down 300k for a house, I would hope you would do a little looking around and actually get what you want. Point being, you said you wish it had propane heat (not sure why you wouldn't want oil, its cheaper...?) and central air (at least 8-10g's to put in afterwards, plus ductwork through your closets).
I'm not rushing. i've been trying to get a house for the past 4 or 5 months. even over winter when i had the designer here, the intention was to sell the place and get a house.
but now that i'm out on the house i thought i had secured, i am in a little bit of a rush as I currently have 3 offers on the condo. I'm going to be getting at or near full listing price for it by the way things are going.... maybe even more than listing price.
I don't want to turn these away and go through the whole process again later.

so, i'm trying to find a house asap so i can accept these offers and get all my stuff in order.

I'm out of room. Sure, i live by myself, but i also work from home. my office is too small. I have no room for my music stuff. I'm tired of always having to wear headphones. I hate my fucking neighbors kids. If he ollies one more time i'm going to break his skateboard over his head. My garage is totally impracticable because i'm fat and my car is 6" shorter than the length of my garage... aka it JUST fits. I'm sick of having my porch being a hang out for wood spiders. no matter how many i kill, theres 5 more the next day. i just gave up and let them hang out on the porch. I'm sick of the association. they are talkjing about another 25 buck increase in HOA next year. at 200/month hoa, i'm going to have a harder time selling later. All i get out of it is water really. I'm sick of having no place for more than 1 guests to park. Did i mention i hate my neighbors fucking kids?

I WANT out.

I don't NEED a roommate to afford it. It just makes it easier, especially while i have the payment on the M. basically, he's going to be covering my car payment.
E is probably going to stay with me about a year while he saves up for his own place.
around the same time, assuming i'm still together with the g/f, i'll probably ask her to move in with me.

We did some math, and with a bill split, my cost doesn't really go up all that much.
After his rent money, i'm looking about 4-500 a month more for the house vs my condo, which is well within my means.

But I have to still have to put my 2 cents in: Getting a house that large and expensive is cool, but having a load of cash in your accounts is WAY cooler.

you still owe taxes from 8 years ago.

I'm pretty much debt free and have close to 50k in retirement accounts, vestments, and other non-liquid assests. and i'm 4 years younger than you.

i really don't think you're in a position to be offering me financial advice dude.

i'd leave the skateboard alone.. i know when i was younger if someone broke my board on purpose, they would have gotten some trucks across the back of their head..

I'm pretty much debt free and have close to 50k in retirement accounts, vestments, and other non-liquid assests. and i'm 4 years younger than you.

i really don't think you're in a position to be offering me financial advice dude.

Now now, no need to lie to yourself. You have a financed bmw and a six figure condo. Thats called debt. Net worth = what you own - what you owe. Unless you have 150k+ in furniture/toys that are paid for, you are negative, my friend.

Me? I can talk shit, because I am in the +'s. :D Although still up to my eyeballs in debt.

"Total Fin. SqFt:2,080 SqftSqFt Source:TOWNRooms:6Bdrms:3Baths:21/2 Baths:1"

Also, If you're shopping for something that'll handle a family down the road, you might look into a 4 bedroom or more, being that you have your own bedroom, a music room, and an office. If a kiddo enters the scene, you'll be house shopping again.

you still owe taxes from 8 years ago.

WHOA back the fuck up, clown. you CAN take my advice because I made $150k a year in my twenties, when your momma was doing your laundry. I am in debt because of stupid maneuvers, like buying expensive cars and buying shit willy nilly.

So I'm telling you, flat out, don't do what I did. Because had I played the game right (Bring money in, not push it out) I would have .. A lot more opportunity.

Now now, no need to lie to yourself. You have a financed bmw and a six figure condo. Thats called debt. Net worth = what you own - what you owe. Unless you have 150k+ in furniture/toys that are paid for, you are negative, my friend.

Me? I can talk shit, because I am in the +'s. :D Although still up to my eyeballs in debt.

i'm already positive on the condo... so i wouldn't even call it debt. i have 3 offers of which they are all fighting it out as we speak.

I paid 147 for it a year and a half ago.
i dumped 3 grand into it, mostly labor-related.

my lowest initial offer was 150. the other 2 are more. and this one is coming back to top those 2, and the cycle repeats.

meaning, i've lived here for 1.5 years for free.
plus i wrote off the mortgage interest.
plus i owe far less than 150 now (138,xxx) so i'm walking out of here with cash in my pocket.

so sure, on paper i'm in the hole because of it, but the reality of it is that i'm ahead because of it.

the car, sure. I owe 38 or something on it i think. and its worth every fucking penny, no matter how "bad" of an investment it may be. :shrug2:

"Total Fin. SqFt:2,080 SqftSqFt Source:TOWNRooms:6Bdrms:3Baths:21/2 Baths:1"

Also, If you're shopping for something that'll handle a family down the road, you might look into a 4 bedroom or more, being that you have your own bedroom, a music room, and an office. If a kiddo enters the scene, you'll be house shopping again.

I don't want kids. she doesn't want kids. so unless we have an accident, there won't be kids in the picture.

That, and i don't plan on living there for the rest of my life. I'll probably stay there 5 or 7 years or so... wait for the market to go crazy again, sell, hang low for a while in a rent or something, and then buy a better/bigger house with the money.
she makes good money too (shes a dental assistant) so if we stay together and do the whole marriage thing :shiver: there's not going to be too much we can't afford. ~$9000 take home between the two of us probably.

i'd leave the skateboard alone.. i know when i was younger if someone broke my board on purpose, they would have gotten some trucks across the back of their head..

then go to the fucking skate park.
its literrally, right down the street. and its all down hill. go down the hill, and go board. don't do it in the driveway of a private complex pissing off your entire neighbors for hours. NO ONE likes them. their mom is a piece of shit welfare bitch cuz her husband died and she has 32432423 kids and hardly speaks english to boot.
so the kids have no father figure and the mother doesn't give them any attention, so they are fucking punk trouble makers.

Our front porches are the same cement stoop.. I cought him doing a rail slide or whatever towards my car/driveway, which he failed miserably at and the board went flying.

I told him that if i saw him near my car again, that we were going to have a big fucking problem.
A) there's no fucking way his mom could pay for any damages
B) its MY fucking side and driveway. he has no right to even be on it in the first place
C) he's a fucking punk and i hope he cracks his skull on the cement.
D) my luck, it will be on my side, and i'll get sued.
E) he may end up disappearing in the woods one day if i don't get the fuck out of here soon.

i wonder how well off i will be when i'm older.

i'm not worried :)

you're pretty much following what i did... i think you'll be fine once you stop renting :D

WHOA back the fuck up, clown. you CAN take my advice because I made $150k a year in my twenties, when your momma was doing your laundry. I am in debt because of stupid maneuvers, like buying expensive cars and buying shit willy nilly.

So I'm telling you, flat out, don't do what I did. Because had I played the game right (Bring money in, not push it out) I would have .. A lot more opportunity.

did you buy an expensive house in your 20's?

no, you didn't. if you did, you'd be golden right now, cuz an expensive house 10 years ago was 200k. and today, thats a 500k house.

so once again, i ask you where i'm going wrong with this.

rent is soooo cheap! i cant help but keep banking... but im thinking of moving closer to boston (newton) since its a nicer area and overall would be just a bit more money... but i would need to drive much less to get where i want.

Nope! I bought a cheap house. If it wasn't such a buyers market, as soon as the bathroom and kitchen get done I wouldn't be surprised if this house was appraised at 100k.

no, you didn't. if you did, you'd be golden right now, cuz an expensive house 10 years ago was 200k. and today, thats a 500k house.

so once again, i ask you where i'm going wrong with this.

Yes. I lost that house too. And I'm not golden, am I ?

Where am I going with this ? Simple statement: It's far smarter to have a reasonable place in a reasonable area for a reasonable price and bank away money. There is NO WAY you can counter argue this. It's like saying "I'd rather be rich than stupid". It's a razer statement.

adds my 2 pennies...

Stay in the condo til it sels, get the money, then get a house that is not so balling and pimping big. The bigger the house, the harder it is to keep clean. My house is way to big, but I can use what space I have if I want or can afford the upgrades. Yes we know you can afford the hugest house than anyone on Hondaswap, and you drive the hottest car that most of us can only dream of owning...but look at the profession your in... a week long power outage would wrech a months pay, you can afford that, but not if your floating two mortgages. Houses pop up on the market at an amazing rate, and if you look in to getting some foreclosers...you would get a better deal, because most of the middle income, and the bottom of the higher income groups are not making thier payments, and the banks arn't happy. In our area, some really nice houses are being foreclosed lately, and some of them are ones I wish I could afford. Something to look into.

Rent or live with mom, but your going to find something better if this slips thru, and your condo sells. I do have an open room, and if you help clean out part of the basement, I'll have a little room for storage there if you want. Plus chip in for the JDM food, and you'll have a decent meal a few times a week. When I get back, I'm getting another dumpster, and a lot of old crap is going out to the dump.

In fact, give me a year and a half, and my pad will be up for sell....completed, rebuilt, and freshened up to last another 15 years without touching a thing but jumping on the lawnmower on a sunday with a beer in the cupholder. I'm still trying to figuare out what to change first, do first, and line up the other items accordingly so I can get the house done right, but thats another post that might pop up next week or so.

Take this with a grain of salt....you really don't need a huge house to impress us or any girl your going to marry... Unless she's already got 3 kids, and collecting 3 allomonies, and her rich grandfather just died. KISS... Keep It Simple Stupid. A huge house doesn't mean you have a big dick....if it does...then beware next time you bend over in front of me whan my sexlife starts to go dry again....

/end drunken rant produced in Japan, at 4:00am and after a full day of drinking.

then go to the fucking skate park.
its literrally, right down the street. and its all down hill. go down the hill, and go board. don't do it in the driveway of a private complex pissing off your entire neighbors for hours. NO ONE likes them. their mom is a piece of shit welfare bitch cuz her husband died and she has 32432423 kids and hardly speaks english to boot.
so the kids have no father figure and the mother doesn't give them any attention, so they are fucking punk trouble makers.

Our front porches are the same cement stoop.. I cought him doing a rail slide or whatever towards my car/driveway, which he failed miserably at and the board went flying.

I told him that if i saw him near my car again, that we were going to have a big fucking problem.
A) there's no fucking way his mom could pay for any damages
B) its MY fucking side and driveway. he has no right to even be on it in the first place
C) he's a fucking punk and i hope he cracks his skull on the cement.
D) my luck, it will be on my side, and i'll get sued.
E) he may end up disappearing in the woods one day if i don't get the fuck out of here soon.

well, thats a different story..

Black Widow g2:

Brian's pissed. He begins to say 'fucking' a lot.
tru dat

adds my 2 pennies...

Stay in the condo til it sels, get the money, then get a house that is not so balling and pimping big. The bigger the house, the harder it is to keep clean. My house is way to big, but I can use what space I have if I want or can afford the upgrades. Yes we know you can afford the hugest house than anyone on Hondaswap, and you drive the hottest car that most of us can only dream of owning...but look at the profession your in... a week long power outage would wrech a months pay, you can afford that, but not if your floating two mortgages. Houses pop up on the market at an amazing rate, and if you look in to getting some foreclosers...you would get a better deal, because most of the middle income, and the bottom of the higher income groups are not making thier payments, and the banks arn't happy. In our area, some really nice houses are being foreclosed lately, and some of them are ones I wish I could afford. Something to look into.

Rent or live with mom, but your going to find something better if this slips thru, and your condo sells. I do have an open room, and if you help clean out part of the basement, I'll have a little room for storage there if you want. Plus chip in for the JDM food, and you'll have a decent meal a few times a week. When I get back, I'm getting another dumpster, and a lot of old crap is going out to the dump.

In fact, give me a year and a half, and my pad will be up for sell....completed, rebuilt, and freshened up to last another 15 years without touching a thing but jumping on the lawnmower on a sunday with a beer in the cupholder. I'm still trying to figuare out what to change first, do first, and line up the other items accordingly so I can get the house done right, but thats another post that might pop up next week or so.

Take this with a grain of salt....you really don't need a huge house to impress us or any girl your going to marry... Unless she's already got 3 kids, and collecting 3 allomonies, and her rich grandfather just died. KISS... Keep It Simple Stupid. A huge house doesn't mean you have a big dick....if it does...then beware next time you bend over in front of me whan my sexlife starts to go dry again....

/end drunken rant produced in Japan, at 4:00am and after a full day of drinking.

Not true, its what people make of their incomes and how they choose to spend their money. I think Brian is just more vocal with his purchases than other members of the HS community... (don't get butthurt :D)

Back