Loud Engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Harms Way

I was wondering if it was just me or are all Honda's loud as hell? I am not talking about exhaust, but the engine alone. Granted this is my first Honda and all, but I was just wondering if this was wrong?

I have 99 civic ex with an AEM cold air, skunk 2 mani, World sport exhaust (which is pretty quiet IMO), AEM cam gear..just to list a few things, maybe one is the reason the engine is loud? I heard that a cold air intake can increase the loudness of an engine.? When I get into upper RPM ranges, from 4.5---6.8, it seems like the thing screams. I know it should when it hits vtec, but, maybe it's just me?

Also, when putting the car into gear and slowly letting out the clutch, is it bad for the transmission if the car kind of studders (due to not enough gas being applied at the same time)? I found a good way to take off is to tab the accelerator a few time until the clutch hits then slowly but steadily let it out, but sometimes it studders.

Yeah, they're loud if you open up the intake/exhaust. All cars are.

It's not bad for your transmission to bog the engine on a start, but it is bad for the engine. Give it more gas and slip your clutch more.

CAI's are especially loud, even compared to short rams, but I'm not quite sure why. All I know is that when I was driving my buddies souped up 2.5RS, and he was driving my integra with only an AEM CAI, He passed me, and I was like whoa.

The CAI moves the sound source outside the engine bay (the filter), so it's going to be louder to people outside the car. AEM's systems also take advantage of pipe tuning to use some resonance advantages at certain mid-range rpms, so you'll also hear more noise in the mid-range.

Back