Loud Tick...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RIT Civic

Ok some of you may know that I have a B16A1 SiR2 on my 1994 civic ex. I did all the works to the head and bottom end...the only thing the head has that's stock are the cams...everything is fully done...Have port/polish, oversized valves, angle valve job, new seals and keeps, titanium retainers, and DUAL EIBACH SPRINGS from CROWER....

The reason I capitalized that is because it could be what is causing my ticking and wanted advice. I adjusted the valves twice perfectly. I have the intake at 0.006 and exhaust at 0.008...I have them torque to 14lbs too...everything is in specs...but I hear a loud tick in the head..its not exhaust leak and its not the injectors because I checked them...a friend of mine says that those springs are too stiff so thats why I hear the ticking...he told me thats the price I pay for getting good springs and thats totally normal...is he right?..do I have anything to worry about...I mean I have always done my own work but first time going from stock to high performance...what do you guys think?

um, just talking out of my ass here but it sounds like a possibility to me. are you sure your cams can take the abuse of the new spring compression? i mean i have heard of springs being so hard they actually broke the cam lobe.

is the noise only at idle? at vtec?

I had a ticking noise a couple of days after my engine install. Turned out to be one of the cam gear adjusting bolts (Darkstar racing cam gears) started backing out and was hitting the valve cover. Could've been a disaster...

Maybe your lost motion assemblies are bad? I just replaced mine...

What is this?...where is it located and how does it look?..is it hard to replace and how much does it cost to buy?

yeah, i was thinking it could be your lost motion assemblys, but i thought they might only tick when vtec is engaged... just a thought tho.

Back