Loud vibrations at higher speeds

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MarkJimenez99

The front part of my car vibrates pretty loud at higher speeds. It's fairly quiet at low speeds, though. I just got a wheel alignment and that doesn't seem to be the problem and I've even rotated my tires. I've got the ball joint in the front to correct the camber. By the way, I've got Yokohama Paradas Spec-2 and it still grips exceptionally. The tread still looks good.

I'm not sure what the problem is. It seems like the vibrations are coming from the left side of my car near the wheels. Do you think it could be an axle because I just replaced them about 3 1/2 months ago. Oh yeah, I have an ls-turbo.

Any insight and words of wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

ive seen where axles have some wobble in the shaft between the 2 joints that causes vibration. or it could be in the joint itself, but take it to a shop that does free inspections that has good experience in cv shafts. they should be able to determine whether thats it or not. it may not look like much wobble but it doesnt take much. thats been my exp. anyways. :p

Originally posted by HellBentHONDA@Mar 9 2004, 05:33 PM
ive seen where axles have some wobble in the shaft between the 2 joints that causes vibration. or it could be in the joint itself, but take it to a shop that does free inspections that has good experience in cv shafts. they should be able to determine whether thats it or not. it may not look like much wobble but it doesnt take much. thats been my exp. anyways. :p

You don't think the shops will charge me for an inspection?

I hope it's not the axle because I don't feel like replacing it again. :unsure:

Check your tires all around. I had the same problem and on of my tires had a big lump. And the lump is not easy to spot. Check with your hand all around the tires. :)

open the phone book and look under auto repair and service. sometimes Midas has free inspections. try them, if not most brake/front end shops and muffler shops do that kind of work so try them first. :D

Originally posted by HellBentHONDA@Mar 9 2004, 06:28 PM
just curious... is the ball joint (w/camber adj.) on the same side the vibration is coming from?

Of course I have the front ball joint (adj) on both sides. Oh yeah, I just remembered that when I did my oil change, I noticed some lubrication that must've spilled out from the cv joint. You think that has anything to do with it?

:angry: Heck! I think I'll just replace the damn axle already! It's still under warranty, but I don't feel like draining the tranny fluid and replacing the axle. I guess I have no choice if I want to do it for free, right?

I wanna buy the higher performance axles already, but they're tooo damn expensive, but probably worth it. <_<

nahh. the grease leaking from the cv boot doesnt tell us anything for certain except that it needs a new clamp or if the boot is ripped guess what.. a new boot. if its under warranty i'd definetly take advantage of free especially if the boot is already leaking!

Yeah, so are we concluding that the axle is the problem? If that's the case, I think I'll go ahead and just replace that cheap-ass axle with another cheap-ass axle. hehe. :wacko:

yeah R&R dude. ahh come on! it aint that bad! it should take ya 20-30 mins tops per axle. use a prybar on the inboard joint or long phillips.

s404e5fb2d94ac.jpg

So is this where I would pry it, because I couldn't last time?

Back