low $ engine swap???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dadio

My son has a 93dx with the d15 that threw the timing belt and destroyed the motor. We removed the motor and looked for a swap. He got an 92 integra with the b18a1 that is rotted to pieces but runs well to put in the dx. After many searches I have so much conflicting info I'm gonna post here and see what I can find out. Other than 1 post from DAX nobody seems to have done this swap because most b18a1s are obd0, however this is obd1 to obd1. If we do this swap will it be like a later series b18 swap only without the obd problems or am I looking at a lot of extra work. I asked about this swap on another forum and got major conflicting answers so need some help. We are not looking to turn this into a racer at this time but may play around after he has more cash. I really need to get this done so he has a car to get to work cause the weather is changing and when it turns bad I'm not riding my bike anymore. Here goes my questions-

1 From what I've read no major wiring should be required, true or false? If wiring is required what will that be?

2 What engine mounts do we use?

3 Do I need to change tranny linkage?

4 What axles do we use, integra"s or dx's or some other?

5 Is there anything special we're gonna need?

6 Dx has hydraulic clutch, Integra has cable clutch which my son wants to use, is this more trouble than its worth or not a big deal?

I appreciate any help I can get from everybody here, this is kinda time sensitive cause he needs to get this car up and running soon. We are pulling the integra's motor this weekend, gonna order a new clutch for it, and get the motor in the civic next weekend up and running. Although I'm not a master mechanic I am competent and do most of my own maintenance so I think we can do this.

Again thanks to all who try and help!

You can put the B18A in there. I am not sure where you went for some of your information, but you might get better results if you look for "LS swapped EG". This is probably one of the most common B-series swaps out there.

As for mounts, you can get mounts from Hasport. If I am not mistaken, you will also need a modified shift linkage.

As for the OBD difference, you can get a conversion harness from Rywire.

All in all, it's a pretty decent swap. It's not too difficult, however make sure you do plenty of research before you start.

Thanks George, I'll try the ls swapped eg search. That may be just the info I'm looking for. As far as obd that is not a problem since both are obd1. And I'll check out Hasport too.

in answer to question 3, I think you will need a hydraulic transmission from a 94^ integra.
that should also come wiith the linkage you will need too.

this swap doesnt require any conversion wiring. you need to buy engine mounts. they go anywhere from $120 shipped for crappy ebay ones to $500 for hasport. hasport also sells hydro to cable kits, but theyre also expensive. use the teg axles, but you might have to upgrade your knuckles to civic si/integra(which you also already have). the swap is straight forward and way easy, but as was said, will cost a litte coin to get it in

Thanks everybody! we are ordering the mounts and a new clutch tonite. I admit we are going with the cheap mounts etc. but my son doesn't have the cash for the hasports etc and for now this is supposed to be a quick and dirty swap. Furthermore my other sons car just died and we need it running also. Gawd I'll be glad when they are both out on their own, I may move and not leave a forwarding address.

one last setback

Well the swap was supposed to be finished by now, but we had a few setbacks and I hope this is the final one. We ordered a F1 RACING STAGE 2 CLUTCH FIDANZA FLYWHEEL 92-93 INTEGRA on ebay from grip-force clutch. It included both bearings clutch and flywheel which we installed. Now the clutch will not disengage. When throwing the clutch it feels like the throwout bearing never engages the diaphragm spring. Pulled the tranny and measured the clutch/flywheel length and it is about an inch shorter than the stock parts. While pulled apart I am replacing the spring and fork on the tranny in case the fork is worn. Any other Ideas? Thanks everbody.

The 92 Integra only comes with a b series ys1 5 speed manual tranny so the "kit" should be for that tranny.

Back