1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

low power?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by DB8-GSR, Apr 28, 2008.

1. DB8-GSR

DB8-GSR New Member

I have a 94 gsr with, intake, intake manifold, headers, catback exhaust and some other little things. i recently got my car dyno'd before i put the intake manifold on and it made 155.3 at the wheels. i know that there is about a 15% loss of power through the drivetrain, but i was just wondering is this a little low? :confused:

2. INJEN78

INJEN78 HS LEGEND

stock gsr makes about 165hp..intake adds maybe 1hp,exhaust adds maybe 2-3hp,header will be about 1-2hp..so your figures sound about right,a little low,,,but that manifold will make you lose power,if you dont do cams and such

3. siesmic

siesmic New Member

check the 02's and make sure all vacumm lines are good

4. INJEN78

INJEN78 HS LEGEND

if there was a bad vaccum line,then there would be a noticeable leak(hunting idle,high idle)and if one of the o2's were bad there would be a cel

5. siesmic

siesmic New Member

true, but i just mentioned it as an extra.

6. DB8-GSR

DB8-GSR New Member

it was on the dyno before the IM is put on, cams , new valvetrain, and a bigger TB and hondata is in the mail as we speak for that, but i'll look into the o2's. i just didn't think that 155 was right.

7. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

If you calculate a 15% drive-train power loss on a 175 horse power engine you end up with 149 horses (roughly). When you take the intake, header, and exhaust into account, 155 horses sounds just about right...

8. LS_VTEC

LS_VTEC you get the BRAKE

Its a stock gsr engine with bolt-ons, what did you expect? 155 is about right for what you have. Adding a larger plenum intake manifold actually loses power if you do not compensate with more air/fuel. The throttle body won't add much except better throttle response in your situation, and intake/exhaust isnt a serious deal here since your still flowing the same as stock through the engine. Bolt-ons are pointless without engine modifications, like head porting/matching to the manifold, higher lift camshafts, high quality header (smsp/hytech/rage) and so forth. I personally keep the stock manifold/tb most of the time for a smoother power band.

9. awptickes

awptickes unimpressed by you VIP

Sounds about right to me. Just don't listen to the people who say "INCREASEZ UR HORSEZ BY UPTO 10+!!!"

10. siesmic

siesmic New Member

LMAO!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted