Low RPM choking problem. HELP.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mattpowerz

Hey, I have a b16 in a crx, and had been driving the current setup for about a year, with no problems. The issue I have now started suddenly, and I'm not sure what the deal is. My car drives fine when it's cold, but after 10 minutes of driving, the car will try to stall under acceleration between RPMs of 1 - 2.5k (by stall, I mean it feels like repeatedly hitting a brick wall). To keep it from stalling, I have to keep the clutch 1/2 engaged until I'm over 2.5k.

It also develops a semi-erratic idle. After driving for about an hour, I thought it was going to stall when I was at a stoplight, and I had to gas it, even with the clutch punched in.

I'm fairly clueless. It doesn't lag under WOT (at higher RPMs), and the dizzy / spark plugs are new. I DID have a problem with an alternator that was putting out extremely high voltage, I don't know if some sensors could have been fried.

Everything is OBD1, with a phearable p28 ecu.

Any suggestions on what to check, or process of elimination ideas would be fantastic.

Thanks,
Matt

Do what he said... in addition I'd check the cam and ignition timing. Having the cam gear off a tooth can cause exactly what you describe.

Do what he said... in addition I'd check the cam and ignition timing. Having the cam gear off a tooth can cause exactly what you describe.

Tomorrow I'm going to clean out the intake manifold / IACV, and do a basic tune-up. I set ignition timing pretty recently, so I doubt it's that. Not sure about cam timing, it's all stock, unless I jumped tooth or something.

Back