lower ball joints on crx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

biglee414

i am going to be putting new front lower ball joints on my 90 crx, i have a chilton and my dad is helping me, i just want to know how long will it take? if anyone can help me out w/ how long it takes, or knows if im going to run into anything unexpected, let me know, i would appreciate it.

Have you ever done it before? No, obviously, so you can just go ahead and expect that something is going to happen, stipped/broken bolt, something won't fit, wrong tool, something always happens, and if it doesn't plan for it and you'll be better off. I wouldn't think it would take more than a few hours.

ball joints are a Bee-atch...I know I have always ran into trouble...its a simple process but stuff for me always comes up such as not being able to get the lower control arm's out of the ball joints, having a press that is too big for my car, not being able to line up the control arm to get the new one in straight...in another owrds, set a little time aside just in case, but hope it goes smoothly because it really shouldn't be hard...

A pickle fork and a big hammer will get the joints free. Only do this when replacing the ball joints, as it destroys the boot in the process. There is a kit for installing them that looks like a giant C-Clamp. You can get this at any auto parts store. Removal is not hard, if you have a compressor- an air hammer will have them out in no time, or depending on the kit you buy, there will be adapters for removal. The consistent screw up is the desire people have to reinstall the new ball joint by wrenching donw on the nut to pull it into place. This will ruin the ball joint and you will be worse off than when you started. Good luck.

Back