lower rad hose isnt gettin warm but no overheat

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

91efvtec

hi i have a 91 ef civic with a new d16z6 swap.... after the swap i had no heat and my engine temp wouldnt rise unless sittin still for a while... i changed the thermostat and got heat and good temp but my lower rad hose isnt gettin warm to indicate flow, and i was thinkin its the water pump but that would mean that i would be overheating. im just lost on this one help please?!

When I first put my Accord together I had a similar problem. Open the rad cap, leave the heat turned all the way hot with the fan blowing. You should see some lil bubbles coming to the top of the radiator. By the time the car fully warms up they should all go away. Top off the rad and cap it.

tried all that..i even just changed the water pump too...and still no warm lower rad hose im so confused??? car runs great and dosent overheat. should i just forget about it???

Does the rad have the same heat all across the top? If not, clogged rad. The thermostat would be the next item to change, its pretty cheap.

You could always drill a small hole around just outside of the center diaphram and see if that helps. If so, get a new thermostat(this is a good method if you're tight on funds)

i changed the thermostat and water pump and the radiator is pretty new (like 6 months old).... now what?!!! it also dosent overheat, the needle stays just below the middle of the gauge

Thats weird. I rly dont know what to add that would help.

i know, its def fuckd up that its doin what it is doin...i jsut dont want to fuck something up by not fixin it but other than the hose dosent get hot, there aint shit wrong wit it totally lost on this one

if your worried about a flow problem... i think its Prestone that makes a flush kit that you hook a garden hose up to and use the hose to flush out the whole cooling system... basically you cut the heater core, put this plastic "T" in and hook up a garden hose to it... Drain out the coolant and leave one of the radiator hoses undone and turn on the hose... its acts just like a powerflush machine would. it might help.. it might not.. worth a shot.

i cant not fix this..its just not right that it isnt gettin warm....there has to b a clog somewere

like i said... that flush kit is your best bet.. its just like a power flush machine... most people do that to flush out heater cores and shit when their clogged

i came home yesterday from an hour drive down the highway and when i pulled in the driveway i let it sit for a minute and the engine temp started to rise pretty fast then all of a sudden it dropped to normal...i went and felt the bottom rad hose and it was gettin hot! but it was like a one time thing cause now im back to it bein cool...what does that mean??!

You prolly had an air pocket somewhere and it forced its way out now. Rebleed the system quick to be safe and top it off when you're done.

I had that issue with my CRX. turns out system wasn't filled all the way. I had to fill it through the top hose instead of through the radiator.

well the problem is finally solved... there must have been a air pocket or a small clog somewhere...i flushed the entire system with the prestone flush kit, which is so easy to use, then i rebleed the system only this time when i bled it i set the idle rpm to 2 and 1/2 rpm with the heater on and that was the way to get the air out..i def recommend settin it to a high idle it is the way to get the air out garaunteed... thanx for all your help

Back