Lowering Compression?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

redtao

I need to be set straight on this, my question is how much more boost can i push by adding pistons and rods as apposed to just using a lower compression by head gasket. i have a b16a3 with a td05-18g 600cfms. thanks

there is no way to set straight on this.

it comes down to tuning, not compression.

yes, forged pistons will stay cooler, and lead to less detonation,
yes, lowering the compression also keeps it cooler

but with out proper air/fuel and igintion control, you might as well stay stock and hope for the best.

i'm going with hondata and was wondering which would allow me to hit 270hp. with the proper tuning could i get at least close with just the head gasket or will i need to go with pistons and rods, this is for my daily driver.

You are going to need a lot of pressure off that turbo.... boosted GS has an LS with an 18g on it, and makes just about 200 whp at 7 psi

you have a smaller motor, and want 70 more horses out of it.

its possible, but you are going to be running 15-18 psi off it, and frankly, why no just start with a bigger turbo?

What I'm saying is DON'T do the headgasket no matter what you do. lowering your compression means you have to turn up the boost even more to make up for it. 10.4:1 is not crazy high.

personally, i think 270 whp on a stock motor for a daily driver is an oxy moron. It simply isn't safe if its your only mode of transportation.
hondata tuned or not, thats a LOT for a stock motor to handel. it may last a year, but it might blow up in a week. its a risk you have to decide for yourself if your willing to take.

I see what your saying, this is for my 97 delsol dohvtec not many around. i want to keep it safe but just with some added power. i'll just tune it for 9 or 10 psi and just take what i get(hp) with proper tuning it should hold 9 or 10 psi right?

i'm planning on building another street racer later.

there you go.

10 psi on your motor tuned with hondata is very safe if tuned correctly.

*nice car by the way :)

Back