lowering compression

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nivea

hey guys i got a gsr motor running at like 12.5:1 and and knocks quite a bit.
is it possible to use a thicker head gasket to lower the compression?? shouldnt that help the pinging?

yes, what gas are you using? what plugs? try switching to a colder plug maybe. do you have equipment to tune the fuel with?

in northern cali all i can get is 91 octane, i have replaced with colder plugs, and im running on hondata. the guy who tuned my car said he removed so much timing and added more fuel. he said thats the best it can be. so i was wondering if i can lower the comoression by a thicker head gasket(heard its the cheapest way)..or do you have any suggestions??
thanks!!

Find a better tuner. You can run 12.5:1 on 91 octane gas if you retard and richen the mixture enough. Dropping in a thicker head gasket is a good cheap way to lower your compression too- just make sure you get it tuned again. You might want to avoid the tuner you're going to now.

ya, probably get like an HKS or Greddy head gasket that they use for turbo motors, should lower you by a few points.

my tuner said he retarded has much as he could, he said its close to nothing. plus added a shit load of fuel......if i cant fine another tuner or ends up the same results, what can i do to reduce the pinging besides running on 93+octane
thanks for all your suggestions@!

If you can't tune it out, all you can really do is lower your compression or raise your octane.

get a 5 gallon barrel of race fuel and mix with 91 octane. where are you located? in san jose there is a 76 station with 100 at the pump.

do u think lowering the compression by getting a thicker head gasket will help the pinging? i rather change the headgasket than run a higher ocatane
and if i do get a barrel of 100 octane how much would i mix in to my tank?
is there another way to lower compression ratio other than replacing the pistons and thickerhead gasket?
thanks for all the info guys

why would you raise the compression ratio if you didnt want it so high?? did you buy internals to do that only to lower it again using a head gasket?!?! i dont know man sounds funny to me but if you really want to lower again i wouls suggest inline pro headgasket they can be changed to lower a stock gsr (10.6:1)to about 8:1 for turbo but im sure you can find smaller point changes at their site

www.inlinepro.com they are pretty cheap too

hope that helps

please dont tell me you bought high compression pistons and are gonna lower you cr..... that would be sad

well i bought this motor for a pretty cheap price, and didnt know it would ping how it is now. ill look in to getttting a thicker gasket for now and hope that helps
thanks fellas!

first i would pull a spark plug out in see what it looks like because if it's still white you need to put more fuel in.

I run 300psi cranking compresson and i still run 87 oct with no pinging.

Back