1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowering my civic

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by ANP320, May 30, 2005.

1. ANP320

ANP320 Junior Member

How would i go about lowering my 1997 Honda Civic EX? I already have all the parts (front and rear camber kit and the springs). Most people said i should take it to a professional because ill need a spring compressor to get the new springs on...ive already had the shocks all of that taken apart because i had to replace my axles recently...but if someone could tell me of another way of getting the springs on without a spring compressor...that would be great! B)

2. scottp11

scottp11 The Seniorest Member....

El Paso, TX now, originally from Fresno, CA
    I depends on how mechanically inclined you are... You can go rent a spring compressor from Autozone, Checkers, etc. for about 50 bucks and do it yourself... It's easy. Just remove the whole shock/strut assembly, and compress the spring. Then remove the bolt from the top and release the spring.

I would go to a professional to have your car aligned and adjust your camber/caster/toe...

Hope this helps

3. ANP320

ANP320 Junior Member

can they adjust the camber kit when its already on the car? and is the camber kit easy to put on?

4. wanderinman

wanderinman Senior Member

How low are you dropping it? Camber kits really aren't a neccesity unless you are slamming it. The aver 1-2" drop wont require one.

5. ANP320

ANP320 Junior Member

its being lowered in the front 1.9 inches and 1.7 inches in the rear...i see that you have springs too...do you have a camber kit on your car? the reason i wanted to put one on is because i see all those cars riding down the road with their wheels bent inward and it just eats up tires...so i figured id throw one on...but let me know..thanks

6. scottp11

scottp11 The Seniorest Member....

El Paso, TX now, originally from Fresno, CA
    Yeh, you can put it on, but I would not recommend adjusting it yourself, as you probably won't get it perfect by "eye-balling" it.

7. VTECPOWER

VTECPOWER Senior Member

For your civic i would recommend to put on a rear camber kit and have someone else adjust it, when i dropped my 97 civic, it needed the rear, but i didn't worry about the front, it was/is dropped on tein s tech springs.

8. wanderinman

The eibach springs dropped my front about 1.5, and my back closer to 2. I dont have a camber kit, and all 4 of my wheels are well within factory specs for everything. Take your car to an alignment shop, most will check it for free AND tell you whatsup. If they can set it straight without the camber kit, then dont worry about it. I honestly think under 2" you will NOT require one.

EDIT: Wheels bent inwards are usually 3+ inches dropped, and dumb people driving them.

9. ANP320

ANP320 Junior Member

haha thanks. Well i already bought the front/rear camber kit so ill put it on anyways...it couldnt hurt! :blink:

10. wanderinman

Well there's the answer to your question. However, if you DONT need it, you COULD sell the kits and buy other goodies for your car... just my .03 (yea thats right, I give 50% more cents than the average person)

11. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted