Lowering the Engine in the Engine bay

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Chris_Gee

Hi there all

Sorry if you already read and answered on honda-tech.com but i thought if i post here as well i can get twice the knowhow thinking about it as i also tryed searching on here but couldnt find anything, again sorry if its the worng section :confused:

Anyway on with the show:

I have a 1991/92 EG5 Civic hatchback that ive stripped to a bare shell and im rebuilding (once its been for a respray) into a track car with a B16B engine, gearbox (tranny) with hassport front upper mounts, and standard front lower and rear mounts with urethane inserts etc blah blah blah.

My question is this, would it be possible to drop the whole engine about 30mm (an inch or so) lower in the engine bay to aid in a lower centre of gravity? and thus more stability?

Has anyone done this? or has any links to any info?

Now my basic thinking goes like this, theres 5 engine mounts. The front lower two should be easy enough with some 30mm spacers i can get made up (i need to check the mounting bolts will be ok naturaly). The top two engine mounts - my 1st idea would be cut off the chassis mounting points and re-weld them to the chassis 30mm lower, but i would like to hear if anyone has any other ideas on this?

The biggest problem i can see is the rear engine mount that bolts to the steering rack and cant realy fix down any lower, unless i can some how adapt the upside down "L" kind of shaped bracket that attach's the mount to the engine (sorry bad description).

Or am i talking out my rear? :blink: :laugh:

many thanks from accross the pond :worthy:

Chris_Gee

doesnt sound like a good idea. 30mm is llike 1" right, so you want the engien t sit 1" lower with more risk of bottoming out... excellent

ditto, lowering the whole car would work too. the only difficult bracket would be the tranny mount.

spacers would be a good route or cuttting and welding the brackets if you have the money i would think custom brackets would be an excellent idea.

Back