Lowe's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

if the douchebags at your local store wont budge on the issue just call the district or regional manager, that always gets shit started :)

the home office im sure would have something to say about it considering why you were gone and the fact that your father called to let them know.

:werd: on finding on a better job.

Lowes? Set higher standards man.

Pull a office space and the burn the place down! =)

oh man that sucks. I am very sorry to hear that.

not to get off topic, but did you contract the cancer from that 15 year old girls heart?

sorry to hear about your situation but did you call them at any time after the intial phone call? I am sure that when your dad called that they probably interpreted that as calling in sick for one day. I am with the others in saying talk to them face to face. if they don't budge then look for a new job.

Call your states labor board, and ask them about any laws concering this. Tell them your story and see what they have to say. If anything maybe they will go into to audit.

step 1, google your state's department of labor
you should find all the info you need on their site...

if that fails then go for the fed's labor standards...

and the higher you go on the chain the more attention you'll get

if all else fails, call some reporters, that will definately get something moving

Let me start off by saying, I've read one of your other threads about your condition before and I cannot even begin to understand how stressful and how painful it must be. I'm glad that you persevere and still have your health.

With that said, Wrongful termination lawsuit.

Lowes my have lawyers contracted and that will come to their every beckon, but its easier and cheaper for the company to settle the lawsuit out of court. Plus, if this were ever to make it to court, its bad publicity that just isn't worth the money for the company - so as I said, its usually easier and cheaper to just pay out the settlement.

I'm not a sue happy person, but given your current situation and circumstances - sue.

Good luck.

most states have medical leave statutes that disallow you from getting terminated for thigns just like this.

Read up on FMLA (family medical leave assistance act) and if you qualify, you got em by the nuts. The bugger is, unless you've been working for awhile then you probably don't qualify. Unless TX has a more indepth set of labor laws, unless you qualify for FMLA then it comes down to morality and that's probably not worth suing over.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Title_29...9CFR825.110.htm <- FMLA qualification

http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Title_29/Part_825/toc.htm <- the FMLA subsection of the US DOL site.

I work for an employment organization so I'm pretty familiar with labor laws.

Thanks to everybody for their help with this matter.

Quoted post[/post]]

not to get off topic, but did you contract the cancer from that 15 year old girls heart?

No, the cancer was a directt result of the immuno-suppresants used to weaken my immune system. The doc says that everybody has cancer in them, but because of their immune system, it's usually kept at bay. My chances for contracting cancer were 1 in like 250,000

Quoted post[/post]]
Thanks to everybody for their help with this matter.

Quoted post[/post]]

No, the cancer was a directt result of the immuno-suppresants used to weaken my immune system. The doc says that everybody has cancer in them, but because of their immune system, it's usually kept at bay. My chances for contracting cancer were 1 in like 250,000

To head the train off topic here, thats a completely revolutionary idea regarding cancer that many professionals are currently taking.

It was quite a suprise to me when a health psychologist explained to me how he believed that we all have the potential for cancer, diseases, and other disorders in our body but that our actions and genetics determine whether or not these things with become prevalent in our body. He went onto to explain the idea that by taking an aloepathic stance on health, i.e., preventative maintenance rather than the aftercare system that Western countries tend to have (we cure a disease after it has progressed, other countries in the East try to prevent diseases before they surface), that one might have succomed to the disease at age 40 but before of their preventative maintenance they stave the disease off until 80 or outlive the disease entirely.

Quite the awesome outlook and I sure hope it proves to be true.

That's horrible to hear man. But do you remember the HR person telling you about their policies?

I work at lowe's....and if you don't remember, you signed an agreement with them, if you don't call for 3 days, you're fired. I just did this, as I was told to resign so I didn't go in for 3 days, and when I get back from break I get re-hired.

They literally told me this is the policy. No matter what, your house burns down, etc, if you don't tell them for 3 days and don't show up and clock in, you'll be deleted, literally. They dont' care.

I honestly think you should sue, because under your circumstances there isnothing you could have done. Then maybe next time I'll get me some fucking holiday pay and be on inactive leave and not have to resign like I was forced to.\

Edit: Your dad called in for you. That is a part of the contract. If someone calls in on your behalf and tells them you won't make it, they have to tkae it as your word until further notice, like you said. Why do I know this? I was real sick last year and was puking like crazy, and my mom had to call in on my behalf and everything was dandy until I called them and told them I was better, aka the next day.

Sue my friend Sue!

at my store #1690 you have to call in yourself. had the old gf call and both my parents, and I finally had to tell them. mid convo i ralphed next to the phone. it's all in how your supervisor is, or how they want to play the rules....

Back