LS all motor Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

89CivicH/B

I'm trying to build an all motor LS for my 89 Hatchback. I got the P30 pistons and had them dropped off at the machine shop to remove the pistons. But they said heating the pins to press them out would probably crack the piston itself. Is this common or is there any other way to remove the piston than by using heat? Also if I have to buy new pistons what year model exactly am I looking for and are the PR3's the same as P30's?

A friend of mine had P30 pistons removed from the stock rods to use in his LS and all went fine.

really heat is the only way I know how to do it.

it shouldnt crack the piston if the guy doing it knows what hes talking about. your combustion chamber temps are 1300 + degrees. I dont think the 600-700 degree temps of that oven are gonna keep that pin from coming out.

Thats kind of what I was thinking. But he's a very reputable shop and he said he could try it, but wanted to give me a fair warning. What about buying new pistons though....what number is equivilant to that of the P30's and give me the same comression and fit on my B18 rod?

I just want to be sure if someone could answer, will the PR3 pistons fit on my LS rods without milling or any modification to the rods?

cant say 100% but i am almost sure that the rods DO need to be milled to fit.

pr3's will fit your stock rods, the only time the stock rod needs to be milled is to fit any of the r-type pistons on, (gsr,itr,ctr)

you can get p30's brand new from hmotorsonline.com

See thats what my machinist said he thinks will happen....it will crack at the pin because of the heat and pressure applied to that one area. I think I'm just going to get new pistons just to be on the safe side and not have to worry with sticking used parts in my engine. Thanks so much for everones input. Now I just have to decide what cam to get. I'm thinking of using Brian Crower's BC0022 cam....its just a little hotter than the Crower 403 cam and costs less.

Back