LS all motor?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

22crazy

hey whats up. I was just wondering if its worth building an LS all motor? I know this probably contradicts everything about building a honda and not using vtec, but the issue i wanted to focus more on is about the valve train. I came down to two different setups (head choice): keep my LS head and use aggressive cams? Would crowers 62404 be a good choice, plus crower valve train? (Who else builds nonvtec valvetrain?) Or just better get a full civic type r head and go vtec?

Just to note: My bottom end is an LS with CTR pistons, and pending on aftermarket connecting rods. I know that if i use a vtec head, my compression ratio will also become higher; i guess thats something to incoperate when deciding my head.

thanks in advance hondaswap :worthy:

im trying to decide whether to use aftermarket nonvtec valve train, or put a CTR vtec head on it. but i am planning to build all motor

forget the CTR head business.. way to expensive for what it is...

get a b16 head and port it... if you are planning on building the valvetrain up , then you would want something more aggressive than CTR cams anyway.

well i planned to get a b16 head with b16b valve train and cams...what i wanted to know was will i make more power with a stock b16 head or a b16 head with CTR valve train (including cams) or an LS head with crower valve train w/ 62404 cams). thats basically what it comes down to for me. thanks in advance.

So crowers 62403 are more aggressive then having type r cams? and can someone help me with this issue on the CTR pistons? can i still use them on LS rods? i thought i read on a thread here that they fit...

nope- ctr pistons wont fit ls rods. end of story. if you read that they did, the poster is a moron.

in an LS, you can't have type R cams. the ls has 4 less lobes than a vtec cam does.

note:(civic type r cams are larger than itr's, but i couldn't find the itr specs off hand.)

Description--------Duration @ .050" ----------- Lift

Civic Type R--------I-233/E-224----------------- I- .449 /E- .417
403's --------------I-211/E-210------------------ I- .423 /E- .409
GSR ----------------I-230/E-216------------------ I- .423 /E- .378

they have less duration, cuz they don't rev as high, but offer some good lift.

yes i know that the LS head has 4 less lobs...thats why im asking if i would gain more power by doing a vtec conversion, or leaving the head and using 404 nonvtec cams.

oh yah about were i read about the ctr pistons with ls rods...no offence but i think it was by you

https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11

i dont know how to use the quote but u wrote this

"BLOCK SET-UP

LSVTEC block MILD: (250)
CTR/TYPE-R pistons (330)
LS rods "

My soon to be setup:

B18A1 Block
B18A1 Head Stage 1 PnP
B16A1 JDM Pistons on LS rods (Thanks Eric)
ARP Head Studs (Thanks Bill)
OEM LS 3 Layer Headgasket
OEM LS Water Pump
OEM LS Timing Belt
OEM Bearings Main and Rod

My engine isnt built yet waiting on people to come through but it will be! All motor all the way. I will eventually go LS-T though but not for awhile.

slap in some 62403 cams with springs and that was basicly my setup . . . i think you'll be very happy with the out come.

good luck, happy building

and do yourself a favor and get a set of new usdm b16 piston rings . . . it would ahve saved me 8hrs of my time rebuilding the motor in the car in a saturday afternoon :doh:

Originally posted by 22crazy@Feb 15 2004, 03:33 AM
yes i know that the LS head has 4 less lobs...thats why im asking if i would gain more power by doing a vtec conversion, or leaving the head and using 404 nonvtec cams.

oh yah about were i read about the ctr pistons with ls rods...no offence but i think it was by you

https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11

i dont know how to use the quote but u wrote this

"BLOCK SET-UP

LSVTEC block MILD: (250)
CTR/TYPE-R pistons (330)
LS rods "

for the record, somebody on honda-tech wrote that. :lol:

I will go in and edit it to be accurate.

Back