ls block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ls/vtechatch91

im starting to build another ls/vtec bottom end... im going all n/a.. and i got a 98 ls block... would i be safe on stock sleeves to bore it out to a 82mm????

From wht i have read and heard, going to 82 really wont do much for u in the n/a setup. i might b wrong but isnt the bore 4 the 98 ls block 81?
by power goal im assuming im assuming he means wht number in hp do u want to reach. i dnt really knw wht to say 4 sure with out knwing tht. if u want to get to a number tht isnt too far from stock power u shld b ok.

going 1mm over wont make that much difference, i have my ls block bored at 84mm for boost but it have darton sleeves....if you are gonna take the time to bore out ur block then go at least 2mm over, it will be safe for NA with stock sleeves.

okay thanks... cuz i donno.. i might just stick with the bottom end and fully build my b16 head...i have. pr3 pistons with arp rod bolts and main bolts... all oem bearing and gasket replacement... it only has like 3500 miles on it... still going strong too... i just wanna push more out of it...

okay thanks... cuz i donno.. i might just stick with the bottom end and fully build my b16 head...i have. pr3 pistons with arp rod bolts and main bolts... all oem bearing and gasket replacement... it only has like 3500 miles on it... still going strong too... i just wanna push more out of it...

For one, they dont make a ctr piston in 82mm. They come 81mm standard, and .020 oversized, which will make it 81.25mm. I would re-build the short block with different pistons. You can do a quick hone on the cylinders and it will not affect you running 81mm ctrs. I'm building the same bottom with shotpeened LS rods and ARP hardware inside. Check the link in my sig for pics as the progress continues, I add more info and pics. Don't run the pr4 pistons (LS). The valve reliefs arent large enough for vtec camshafts.

For one, they dont make a ctr piston in 82mm. They come 81mm standard, and .020 oversized, which will make it 81.25mm. I would re-build the short block with different pistons. You can do a quick hone on the cylinders and it will not affect you running 81mm ctrs. I'm building the same bottom with shotpeened LS rods and ARP hardware inside. Check the link in my sig for pics as the progress continues, I add more info and pics. Don't run the pr4 pistons (LS). The valve reliefs arent large enough for vtec camshafts.

they do make ctr pistons in 82, 83, 84, and 84.5mm!!! my friend found them on ebay! he has them at 84mm and i think he paid a lil over $300

bigg is right..they do make them in more than 81mm

oversized pr3 pistons..thats hwo they refer to them.....
and i found normal pr3 pistons,gaskets,acl bearings and rings for $209 on ebay

well i already have pr3 pistons in my ls block with arp rod bolts and main bolts.... i wanna raise the compression more... i know i can shave the head more but i wanna put bigger pistons in it too.... but i donno

pr3 pistons are not CTR pistons. As for genuine honda ctr pistons, not ebay copies, will only come in those two bore sizes. The ones they advertise are not from Honda, they are simply copies. pr3/p30 are b16 pistons, depending on the generation. They too also have copies on ebay for cheap with rings, but I am unsure if honda makes them in different bore sizes. Usually you are getting an aftermarket piston.

I do not suggest milling the head for more compression. If you want to go with a bore size other than oem honda, than look into aftermarket, such as Nippon Racing. I paid $200 shipped for just the pistons and wrist pins, no rings. A quality part is a quality part, bottom line. with the ctr pistons I am running in the b18a1, with an unmilled b16a head, my compression will be roughly 12.3:1 - 12.4:1. Not for nothing, but thats decently high and can be tuned on pump (93) as mine will be. Back when I had the same setup, sunoco 94 was available but they discontinued it. The engine never pinged with 93. You can run lower octane when tuned properly, but you will be losing power you could be taking advantage of.

i know all of that... ive had my ls/vtec for atleast 5000 miles and i havent had anything wrong with it... but we only have 92 here... i never use anylower than that... i just wanna add more to it... thats why i bought another block so i wont have any downtime... know what i mean... and i dont wanna turbo it.. im going strically N/A..

I have been building ls vtec's for years now. My best results were with CTR pistons as far as power goes. Most of the power is made in the head as you probably know. 200whp isnt hard to make on stock ported heads either =)

ya.. but i wanna fully build my head to.... do u know if rev hard valve trians are anygood???? i was looking at them.... im thinking about buying one....

I didn't know rev-hard made valvetrain components. Don't waste your time with them if they do, go quality, get Ferrea.

im running 84mm in a stock sleeve b18b and i have had it running for 6 months now 4000 miles and it hasnt fucked up yet i would say go ahead and do it and by the way to stay on the safe side i would suggest getting a block gaurd

Back