1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ls cams in b20b

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by sernmd, Nov 27, 2007.

1. sernmd

sernmd New Member

my buddy traded an obx intake manny for a set of ls cams..... so first question is did he get burnt? and second question how will this help or not help perfomance??

1 person likes this.
  2. sernmd

sernmd New Member

that didnt seem clear enough so il try again.... if he puts the ls cams into his b20 b will that help or hurt the performance

3. killercannible

killercannible Senior Member

The cams are exactly the same. The best upgrade would be a b16/gsr head swap, b20vtec, or to do cams and valve train. The valve springs on the b20/ls head are notoriously weak. My friend floated a !few! valves by hitting 8500 on a miss shift on a 80k b20. Destroyed head and pistons, it was ugly, looked like a 2 stroke dirt bike engine after it blows.

1 person likes this.
  4. sernmd

sernmd New Member

wow lol that sucks.... but its so funny u sed that cuz he just called me this afternoon and told to me to scratch the ls cams idea .... he sed he picked up a b16 head and wanted me to ask about that...so that was gunna be my next question but u ansewred it b4 i ast it lol thanks

5. norcalgsr

norcalgsr Honda Master Technician

Make sure to upgrade the bottom end with ARP rod bolts and a B series VTEC oil & water pump if you're going to put a B16 head on it and rev it to 8k.

6. sernmd

sernmd New Member

im not gunna be doing the swap but thanks ... is that all necessary tho? and why? i like to know just to know know wut i mean??:D

7. norcalgsr

That's pretty much the minimum recommended upgrades to the bottom end...

Reason being that you are going to be running a block that was designed for a rev limit of 6500 or so (I can't remember exactly where it's at), to 8000+ revs and you need to strengthen it so that the rods hold together and it has adequate lubrication at the higher revs.

There is a lot more work you have to do in order to attach the VTEC head to it, but that's another topic that can be found easily searching around the site.

8. killercannible

killercannible Senior Member

actually the b20 and ls bottom ends are exactly the same. The only difference is that the b20 cylinders are 84mms. The rods and crank are completely interchangeable. However the ls motor isn't exactly built for high rpm's either, but most of those issues lie in the the head.

9. norcalgsr

Still, I would rather be safe then sorry considering either a B18 or B20 isn't built or designed to rev that high from the factory.

Sure it will probably work fine stock, but I personally wouldn't take the chance when you can spend a few hundred more dollars and have some insurance on that bottom end.

10. sernmd

sernmd New Member

yea he was told by the guy who put his b20 in to do all that accually ...but i wanted to know why.... now i do thanks

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted