LS conversion to vtech

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Integra2387

Okay.. i have an ls integra (99') and i want to convert it to vtech..should i get gsr or type r heads, and what are the prices about, and where can i find them? If you have information on these questions, please let me know i would HIGHLY appreciate it. I also am curious as how exactly a vtec controller works and what its capability is. someone who wants to help me with these questions would be great. Im still new at this but im learning.. Thanks again

dude, stop answering these questions with dumb answers.

"yeah man, just slap on a vtak head and run an extra oil line"

dude, stop answering these questions with dumb answers.

"yeah man, just slap on a vtak head and run an extra oil line"
what do you mean ? something like slap on a vtak head and run a extra oil line

just put the b16 head on the b20 block run a oil line and drop her right in

Its not just put a head on it and you're done... there are more parts to it than just that....

or telling someone to check their oil level when their vtec isnt engaging when its most likely a problem with the solenoid or wiring

you need to read the mans question again he didnt ask what all needs to be done he asked what head he should get and prices. and oil level in a vtec motor can make the vtec not come on

Okay.. i have an ls integra (99') and i want to convert it to vtech..should i get gsr or type r heads, and what are the prices about, and where can i find them? If you have information on these questions, please let me know i would HIGHLY appreciate it. I also am curious as how exactly a vtec controller works and what its capability is. someone who wants to help me with these questions would be great. Im still new at this but im learning.. Thanks again

p72 (GSR) heads are made from a higher quality casting from the factory than the pr3 (ITR) head, which is basically a mildly ported b16 head. The ITR head will flow better at the top end from the factory, but the GSR head is a much better head to start out with if you plan on getting into porting it or running an aftermarket set of cams. The GSR's port geometry also lends itself to some better flow paths, and is something to be considered when building the engine. You are doing an LS/VTEC (notice it's not vtech...you'll get flamed on here if you mess that up for very long, just warning you), so I assume you will at least be mildly building up the motor.

The ITR head is a waste of money in my opinion, because you could buy a b16 head and have a mild port and polish done custom for your application for less money. I'd get the gsr head though, because it has more potential, and as I said before, a better casting, and therefore and a higher quality. A used b16 head, stock, with all the stuff on it (manifold, sensors, etc.) sould run you about 400-450. A gsr head should run you about 550-600.

Skip the VTEC Controller, it's a waste of money that you could use to socket and chip an obd1 p72 ecu.

as much as i relized mike bergey is a smart guy and knows what hes talkin bout but theres one thing bout what he said...im also doing a ls/vtec and im having trouble finding these heads....even on ebay, and when i do come across one theyre a little more pricing then he said add maybe 150 - 200 on his pricing to find even a half decent head with all sensors and working parts and please listen to him...it is VTEC not VTECH

i have sold several vtec heads and have never taken less than 350 for them. i have a complete b16a2 head with dizzy and im for 500 obo

or telling someone to check their oil level when their vtec isnt engaging when its most likely a problem with the solenoid or wiring

For the most part I agree with you, this answer is lacking in substance, however, I have seen low oil level cause VTEC to not engage or to drop out...

i have sold several vtec heads and have never taken less than 350 for them. i have a complete b16a2 head with dizzy and im for 500 obo

I picked up my pr3 head complete for 300. He also threw in a free b16 block. I guess it just helps to search. There is always someone wanting out of the honda scene, and they sell stuff for cheap. 500 is WAY too much for a pr3 head. A p72 head, maybe, but not a pr3. Sell high if you can, but you're selling to people who don't know any better.

the gsr head is not a bad choice. but personally i will always run a b16 head over a gsr. for one, and most importantly, a b16 is cheaper and wayyy easier to find for a reasonable price. two, there is nothing wrong with the casting on a b16 head, and it actually has a more efficient combustion chamber, raising the threshold for detonation. one thing you might like about the gsr is that it has a smaller combustion chamber which will raise the compression as opposed to the b16. this is a good thing if you are not swapping out your ls pistons for higher compression ones. anyway i agree with mikebergy that in itr head is not necessarily worth the money, although its not a bad choice if you can find one complete, and reasonably priced, just to save you a trip to the machine shop for a p&p. plus youll have your itr cams sitting in there for you.
also, do some research on other forums. there are a million write-ups on going ls/vtec. its really not too complicated. most important is running the oil line properly, getting a good head and cams, the right head gasket, making sure you wire up right, and get the right ecu. go with mikebergys advice and get a chipped, or a stock p28. its best if you want to upgrade or get a tune later on. oh yeah to make life easier, just buy the golden eagle vtec kit. it has good parts and mostly everything you need and is cheap

Last edited:
Vtech.gif

I've been waiting to use that for a long time :p Made it myself :)

Back