LS frank motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cbr1

I have a 90 civic si hatch EF.

I have read about frank motors where one can swap out with a ls motor vtec head.
Is it possible for my EF and would it be difficult to do (will i need a tranny swap)?
what else will i need to swap out

read below about the frankenstein engine. b18b with a head from a b18c or b16a
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/0203ht_killerb/

Originally posted by cbr1@Feb 15 2005, 08:46 PM
I have a 90 civic si hatch EF.

I have read about frank motors where one can swap out with a ls motor vtec head.
Is it possible for my EF and would it be difficult to do (will i need a tranny swap)?
what else will i need to swap out

read below about the frankenstein engine. b18b with a head from a b18c or b16a
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/0203ht_killerb/
[post=461514]Quoted post[/post]​

yes, one of the guys at our shop has LS/VTEC in his 91 Si hatch - B18A1 block and B16A head - you will need a b-series transmission, mount kit, intermediate shaft and axles, shift linkage, ECU and exhaust work (header,etc.) - also a little wiring

The work you are looking into is commonly referred to as LS/vtec. It is a very easy setup. You start buy searching this site for that topic. There has been a lot of write ups on it. Here is a basic parts list to get you started.

- Vtec Head (b16a or b18c)
- LS block (b18a or b18b, you could get fancy and get a b20z)
- CABLE transmission (your si will not work, you can get a hydro but then you
need an adapter kit too)
- Vtec ECU (this depends on what obd you want to run)
- Motor mounts

if u can afford it and do it right, its a sweet setup, i have one in my 91 civic hatch, fucking hood wont fit down tho,

thanks guys.

I wasnt planning to spend too much on it, and i plan to use generic parts, aside from engine) to put it together.
what do you think is the estimated cost if i were to do this swap without labor

cable tranny + cheaper vtec head (b16a or b18c?) +
cheaper ls block (b18a or b18b?) + vtec ecu + motor mounts

i am looking at cost, but from your experiences, i want to know if i have the budget to do it.

If i where u, i whouldnt do a lsvtec without repalcing the rods and pisotns, atleast get urself some ctr pistons and some APR rod bolts, or that bottom end wont last that long unless u build it up some, im in the process of building a whole new lsvtec, ITR head, Skunk2 valvetrain,, Skunk2 stage 2 cams, eagle rods, apr rod bolts, je pistons, all new bearings, , so it depends on how in depth u wanna get, but remeber the cheaper the less reliable
If i where u, id go iwth a b18a1 block, they are a little cheaper, and a b16 head, they are cheaper then a gsr head, get some rod bolts for 30 bucks, and get some ctr pistons, and make sure u replace the water pump and oil pump with either gsr, b16 or itr pumps. and replace as many gaskets and seals that u can afford

david how much u spent on ur whole ls/vtec setup i have a 1991 crx si and money is quite tight but i just got a whole 1991 gs teg for 700 with 100000 miles and runs strong. i want my rex to be fast but i want reliabliaty as well cuz i will be useing the rex to go to work. any suggestion guys. i was leaning towards the ls/vtec but sounds kinda expensive but what i researched can be not so reliable.

if your not already starting with a ls motor in your car, i would get a complete ls swap. that way you have a running motor in your car while you get all the other parts together. search pissedoffsol's topics for ls/vtec assembly. he did two really good write ups about it.

Gsr head: 800
B18a1 Bottom: 200
B16 cable tranny 350
Stage 3 clutch: 200
Crower Pistons and ROds: 800
All new seals and gaskets: 130
Gsr Oil pump: 90
Gsr water pump: 100
Timing Belt: 25
Mounts: 350
Linkage:20 bucks for 91 acura integra plus cutting the ends off and weliding a longer linkage
OBD0 to OBD1 Coverstion harness: 200
GSR eCu : 100
ITR Header: 120.00
Skunk 2 Manifold: 200
As u can see it gets quite expenisve, but it is WELL worth it

About it being reliable, It Can And WILL be just as relibale as a stock honda engine as long as it is done right. If u just slap a head on a ls bottom, that is not gonna be reliable, before i did mine i reacherd for 1 year, I have been druving mine for 35000, only probelm i have had is had to replace a oil line, thats it,

thanx guys i bought the gs teg so ill need is all those other parts. ill do it slow and right. u guys think the ls/vtec is betta than the ls/turbo or no. and u didnt machine anything for ur ls/vtec setup.

Back