ls LSD in b16 trans???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nicks00si

I have the opportunity to pick up a Quaife LSD for a very reasonable price for my H2B project, however it is in an ls trans and I'm not sure that it will work in my b16 trans. According to the vin tags the trans that the lsd is in right now is from a DC4, however the trans that I plan to use is out of an EM1. Will the LSD come out of the ls trans and go right into the b16 trans or will this not work? Any information would be appreciated, I'm not real knowledgable about transmissions.

Oh and the ls trans supposedly has a "handcuff" installed to do away with 5th gear and 4th gear slips out from time to time. Basically the guy is throwing in a junk ls tranny with it.

Thanks in advance!

I was up til 2 last night doing some research and after seeing how easy it is, I was really wondering if that would work. Have you ever tried it? I guess if it didn't work I could just swap out ALL the gears and just run the ls ratio from 1-5. I like the idea of running the b16 gears for the track and having that ls gear to get me there lol

I was up til 2 last night doing some research and after seeing how easy it is, I was really wondering if that would work. Have you ever tried it? I guess if it didn't work I could just swap out ALL the gears and just run the ls ratio from 1-5. I like the idea of running the b16 gears for the track and having that ls gear to get me there lol

Many people have done the LS fifth gear swap, makes for a nice cruise in fifth. Wish I'd done it to mine old B16A in Germany, on the Autobahn it maxed at 143mph, fifth just didn't have any more to give.

I've been reading a bit and watch a couple vids on youtube and it really doesn't look that hard. I think I'm goin to go for it, both the lsd and ls 5th gear swap. And I'm pretty picky when it comes to that sort of thing, so it should go together pretty nice. When doing the ls 5th gear swap do I have to swap anything besides that individual gear?

to help the op and me :D does anyone know of a good write up with pics on the ls 5th gear swap?

It definately seems like I'm going to be doing the lsd and 5th gear swap in a couple weeks, I should be able to help you out if it goes well, and hopefully can do a write up also.

this is what i found online for you

LS 5th gear countershaft PN: 23461-P80-000
LS 5th gear mainshaft PN: 23581-P80-000

Drain the oil from the tranny. Remove the tranny from the engine. remove all the bolts around the tranny housing. Remove the plug from the passangerside of the housing (2 inch diameter metal plug with square 3/8 socket hole). use a C clip tool on the C -clip that holds the housing to the shaft (inside the plug hole). seperate the housing. remove the forks / shift linkages. Use a 32MM axle nut socket to remove the nut that holds the gears to the shaft. Use a gear puller to remove the top gears from both shafts and replace them with LS 5th gear sprockets. Reverse to assemble. You can reuse the JDM syncros with the USDM 5the gear sprockets.

thanks, i found some very helpful videos online that explain things pretty well. I am going this weekend to check out the trans with LSD. What can I look for without taking everything apart that will confirm it has a quaife lsd? I think the case is undone but i'm not sure until I see it

If you can take the case off, you'll see it.

yes, but how can I make sure it is a Quaife and not an OBX? I know that if I was to take it completely out I could tell, but since it's in the trans and I really don't want to attempt to take it all apart at this guys house, are there any obvious markings on the end that you can see?

And thank you guys for all your help! I haven't been a member for long and havn't been able to contribute much, but out of the couple sites I am a member of, this has by far been the most helpful. My laptop should be in this week, meaning I can take it to work with me and have internet access up there. I'm planning on doing a few writeups and hoping to give back to the HS community a bit!

Yes I considered that, I will do that in a bit, i've been trying to find pictures of the two of them from that angle but they look almost identical

Havn't gotten an email back from quaife, but I talked to the transmission mechanic that dealt with this transmission. He said it is in fact a real quaife, but he doesn't think it has the 5th gear because it's had a handcuff installed to do away with 5th gear for race purposes. Are those part numbers that you listed above for the shaft? or for the gears? I'm assuming all I need are the gears to swap over onto my b16 shafts because I'm only going to swap over 5th gear and leave the other 4 gears from the b16 intact. I want to get them ordered today or tomorrow so I can have them this weekend and do the work this weekend, can someone help me out with what exactly I need???

well unfortunately they will need to be ordered, the dealer didn't have any in stock. So I am going to wait and see exactly what is and is not missing out of the trans tomorrow when I go to get it. I did get to see a picture of the handcuff that is installed in the trans, but the whole trans is apart and all the pieces are in a bag except for the LSD.

I know some use hondabond, but what other products have you guys used as a sealant for these cases?

Back