LS or GSR...Help me decide!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

acurabdby

Hey guys,
This is crucial(sp?) needed here! Here's the deal I had a 97 LS Intergra I unfortunatlly had to trade it in to get my new wife a better car and I got stuck driving her crappy 94 Altima Egg, Believe me I hate it with a passion. Now I'm in the position to get rid of the Altima and I want to go back to my first love...Integra's!! However Type R's are way too expensive and besides the cosmetic difference's the Gsr is pretty close to a type R besides the Cams and a few other small things.

So Case in point I originally wanted to boost my LS, but now that I can choose one I'm considering a GSR.

So which is best for turbo a LS or a GSR?

I had heard that the LS had a stronger block and had more torque at lower RPM's so I'm kind of leaning to a LS but that damn VTEC keeps popping into my mind so what do ya'll think please advise!!!!

Thanks for the help in advance. :worthy: :spin:

However Type R's are way too expensive and besides the cosmetic difference's the Gsr is pretty close to a type R besides the Cams and a few other small things.

few small things like the 25 horsepower difference because of the cams, ported b16 head, etc... Oh and don't forget the upgraded suspension, 5 lug type R rims, some red Acura and type R emblems, tighter gearing in the 5 speed...yeah it's the same car... :roll:

Type Rs are a pain in the ass to find, and LS's are meant more for economy. Where did you hear the LS had more torque? the GSR b18c1 comes with 170 hp and 128 ft lbs, the LS b18b1 came with 142 hp and 127 ft lbs. Stick with getting a GSR if you're going to boost it.

and LS's are meant more for economy as they have DOHC VTEC

LS's don't have VTEC....

Ok well 1st of all I appreciate the feedback, I knew about all the outside stuff the engine stuff is what i wasn't to sure about on a Type R and they are easy find in FL theres like 5 on Autotrader right now but they want $18k and up for them. My boy had one ya'll might of heard of him he one Pikes Peak a year or so ago his name is Blake Fuller his type R was sweet but then again he was sponsored but alas he traded it in too, and now he's driving a brand new STI WRX.

Any who so GSR then?
Any other thoughts?
Just want some more opinions 1st is all.

Bah, I meant don't have vtec...i'm tired and it appears you caught it before I could edit it. Oh well, it's fixed now.

c1 block is better then LS, is stronger too, so if you going to have a turbo setup soon just get a GSR and boosted to 8-12 psi, and it's goin' to be sweet,

how is the c1 block better? id say if you planning on boost, go with the ls....they love boost.... just my .02 cents...

it all depends on 1 thing- budget.

id rather have a tuned/managed ls
than an untuned/unmanaged gsr

Originally posted by revolution8k@Feb 14 2004, 02:24 AM
the GSR b18c1 comes with 170 hp and 128 ft lbs,
the LS b18b1 came with 142 hp and 127 ft lbs

True. BUT... the LS's torque come about 1 thousand RPM before the GSR. if u have a turbo it make a huge different

Im planing to turbo my LS and tuned and its cheaper to buy one and with the money i rather turbo the LS and tuned it. IMO

As far as budget i can ge a GSR or an LS 4 about the same price cause i'm not buying the motor I'm buying the whole car but I do agree that the torque on the LS does come at a 1000RPM sooner than the GSR however I kind do was interested in having the Vetc thats why I'm considering the GSR.

Anymore help?

Man, the bullshit is flying fast and furiously in this thread. First off, B18C1s have 130 ft lbs. according to Acura literature. Secondly, the torque difference and RPM at which it increases between the two engines means jack shit when you're boosting. You WILL NOT notice a 3 ft lb. difference, and even if you did, the turbo can easily make up the difference.

VTEC and boost. They just don't go together. All the fast guys use VTEC engines with boost. All the REALLY fast guys use cam gears to dial out the overlap when in VTEC. Is the extra cost of buying and insuring a GSR over an LS worth it just to say you have VTEC? I'd rather buy an LS and spend the two grand difference on fuel management and better hardware any day. When it comes down to it, a boosted B18B is capable of WAY more power than you'll ever be able to put down in a street- driven FWD car, so why spend the extra money just to say you have VTEC? Whoopty freakin' do.

Type R vs. GSR... NOT EVEN THE SAME CAR!!! The ITR has bigger wheel bearings, five lug hubs, bigger brakes and calipers, lighter wheels, stiffer chassis, stiffer shocks and springs, larger sway bars, a lower curb weight, less sound deadening, 25 more HP, better head and intake manifold, shorter gearing, shorter FD., LSD, Recaro seats, tighter suspension, engine, and shifter bushings, no sunroof, no AC, ect ect ect... The GSR and ITR are on two totally different levels.

Loco....

Your the man thats why I come here is to ask so I can learn. The info is great and I definetlly want more feedback. However I was happy with my LS when I had it, and since I've also heard that Vtec and Turbo really don't work as good together as the LS and turbo I think I might be leaning that way.

So assuming I do go with turbo on an LS what upgrades should I do before the turbo comes into the picture?

cause my previous LS had:
AEM CAI
DC 4-1 Ceramic header

Which I know can not be used with a turbo setup
exc for maybe the Intake pipe on the CAI.

What do u think?

vtec works fine wth boost. overlap of stock cams is minimal.

but loco is correct in saying that in a STREET car, an ls will have enough to get you there. 275-ish whp, and you're just out of control. its huge power for 2 wheels.

Ok so I'm pretty convinced now on the LS so with that in mind ,(this may have been already talk about to death) what things should i do to the LS motor before adding boost?

For Example: what exhaust?, Ignition,motor internals etc.....

Upgrades/ repairs of the engine depend on HP levels you want and the condition of the engine. A stock bottom end in good shape should handle 12 PSI with proper fuel management. BTW- do you sense a pattern here, where fuel management is always being mentioned?

None of your stuff will transfer over. You'd be better off selling the AEM and using the same size pipe through the entire intake tract.

Originally posted by acurabdby@Feb 14 2004, 12:35 PM
Loco....

Your the man thats why I come here is to ask so I can learn. The info is great and I definetlly want more feedback.

man his ego(profile) just keeps growing :p

anyways, i agree with going for the LS-turbo. the most important thing in any turbo application is fuel management. DO NOT cheap ass fuel management, get something real if you're planning on making any power. the general consensus is that the hondata s200 w/ boost is the way to go if you're serious about making power.

I sold all my stuff with the car when I traded it in so i don't have it anymore.
I appreciate all the responses i started a new thread on just LS boosting to kind of get a step by step of what i should do.

So please check out that thread for your advise.

Back